MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
sunkai
Got rid of the matchlight.

Question Low temperatures in new UDS build

Hi all,

I've just finished my first UDS build, and fired it up after a seasoning burn. I found that the temperatures achieved were well below what I was expecting.

To get to a 350f grill temperature, I had to have all 4 of my 3/4" nipples wide open.

The lid is the standard one from a Weber kettle, with the vents wide open. The ambient temperature was 30f, and the whole charcoal bed was alight.

Adding a heat-deflecting plate a couple of inches above the brazier dropped the grill temperature by 120f.

The only things that I can think of that could restrict the temperature are: the ash pan sides obstruct the direct path between nipple and brazier; and the brazier sides are perforated metal, not expanded metal.

Any advice much appreciated.
sunkai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start with a bigger fire and loose that damn deflector it aint needed the UDS is a direct heat pit.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Start with a bigger fire and loose that damn deflector it aint needed the UDS is a direct heat pit.
A-man, brother!!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Also, remember that the four 3/4" nipple design was developed before everyone started smoking in the hot and fast temperature range and, as Bludawg says, without a deflector.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
whiteboycustom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

replace the 3/4" nipple with 1" nipple and get more air intake
whiteboycustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
sunkai
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll try a larger fire first, and can add more ventilation if required. All of the build guides I referenced advocated either a 4 x 3/4" or 3 x 1" configuration.

I lifted the deflector out initially when it seemed that it might be stifling the fire. Using one seems to be a bit of a religious argument, depending on whether you like meat juices in the coals or not.

The ventilation in the lid wouldn't be to little or too great would it?
sunkai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Try using a good quality lump charcoal, it burns much hotter than briqs.

If you are using briqs, it's possible they are damp.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Vent in lid should always be full open. period. The design of a UDS is to go low. i cruise at 250-275. I can get it up to 350, and i do frequently to get a nice glaze on things, but it takes some time.

How big is your fire basket? How many briq's or lump you start in the chimney also influences how hot it will get and how fast, I.E. the more lit the faster it gets to temp.

Also make sure your fire basket is off of the bottom of the barrel, if it isnt. Need about 2 inches.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
funugy
Take a breath!

I have the same problem. Pretty much same setup but I use the ique, so I'm pretty sure I get enough air in. My uds loves 250*. I can get it to hold 325* but it takes a while to get there. The fastest way is to remove the lid and let the fire build for a while, and I use a cheap pizza pan diffuser.

I have just accepted the fact that the majority of my cooking will be 250*-275*. I use my kettle for anything hotter.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Bludawg

I run mine at 300-325 all the time I have 3 3/4 intakes two nipples an a ball valve, I use lump in the basket wood buried in the lump, I use a 1/2 chimney of hot briquettes to fire it. Once I dump the briquettes on the lump I give it 10 min before loading it into the drum. Stat with all intakes open I close 1 at 250 at 275 i close the ball valve 1//2 way it settles in at 300 in 15 min

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

If you want to be able to raise temps on a dime add a second exhaust vent.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaspurple View Post
A-man, brother!!
+1 or
Close 3 vents, add a BBQ guru digiQ cook at whatever temp you want to and never ever worry about it again.
My first perfect designed flat lid UDS would run 350 all day and never miss a lick, with 2 16 lb brisket in it. It only had a 3/4" exhaust

I'm a big believer in the BBQ gurus. I will never not use one for my cooks
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkai View Post
...The only things that I can think of that could restrict the temperature are: the ash pan sides obstruct the direct path between nipple and brazier; and the brazier sides are perforated metal, not expanded metal.....
Can you share a pic of your basket? If the experts here can see what you've got, I'm sure some good recommendations could be provided.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have your intakes raised i.e. with vertical pipe risers, or are they just nipples at the bottom of the drum? do you have pipe valves on all the intakes or just 1?

I added vertical pipes to the intakes on my drums because I thought it would save me the trouble of having to bend down to cap or uncap the nipples. Proved to be a not so great idea - struggled to get temps above 260 in the midi UDS and above 220 in the UDS. Also what is your deflector made of? if using a clay saucer the temps will drop alot right when you put in because the clay plate is cold.

I solved my problem by adding a 1 1/4" intake to both drums. When i want to go hot n fast I open the big intake as well as the others.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

solution one

Option Two

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
temperature, uds build