Homemade Smoked Sausages

woodfireguy

Reaction score
We made Pheasant, Breakfast Chicken and Italian sausage this weekend. We do this a couple times a year and have a lot with it. We smoked the Breakfast Chicken Sausage on an electric smoker at 180 for about six hours then pulled them at an internal temperature of 160

If you want you can check out our blog for the recipes. Nothing for sale there, just food for friends.
http://mediterraneancookout.blogspot.com/2011/04/home-maid-italian-sausage-with-roasted.html

Attachments

• Ch-smoking.jpg
    Ch-smoking.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 193
  • ch-smoked 2.jpg
    ch-smoked 2.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 194
  • all three sausage.jpg
    all three sausage.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 192
Looks good! Sausage making is something I've been wanting to get into. I figured starting with fresh, then moving on to cured meats after some experience is a good plan.

Nice! I've gotten into making sausage in the past couple years - love it! I've been considering getting an electric smoker to add to the arsenal.

Nice looking grub - thanks for posting. :cool:

They look pretty good, I guess I could have looked at the link in the initial post :-D

I see you don't use any pink salt for curing. are you cooking them fast on a grill to keep them out of the temperature danger zone for a shorter amount of time?
All Ive read is that if you are smoking sausage for a long time they need curing salt to prevent the bacteria that make botulinum toxin from growing.

They look pretty good, I guess I could have looked at the link in the initial post :-D

I see you don't use any pink salt for curing. are you cooking them fast on a grill to keep them out of the temperature danger zone for a shorter amount of time?
All Ive read is that if you are smoking sausage for a long time they need curing salt to prevent the bacteria that make botulinum toxin from growing.

Thats what I was thinking too. Esp chicken I would atleast add 2 T of Tenderquick.

I do so love sausages! Nice job, they look and sound great:thumb:

Yeahhhh... but no. I'm not clicking a link from someone who hasn't spent a bit of time here.

I know I should not be judgemental, but I am... stuff it.. I am. I encourage people who join and share and have fun and learn, but it takes time.

Stick around a while, be part of the community and build some credo first. That's not to say you can't post blogs and stuff, but not right on the very first post..

I'd be happy to be told I'm out of line...

Cheers!

Bill

I see you don't use any pink salt for curing.

Thanks for checking out our food. I don’t use potassium nitrite or sodium nitrate. They have 1 tablespoon of salt and sugar per pound of meat that does a good enough job curing them. The freezer does the rest. Some sausage is cold smoked for 24 hours or more and needs nitrites to protect it. These are brought up to an internal temperature of 160 with in 5-6 hours in 180-degree smoker, so it’s more like cooking them while they smoke. The smoked paprika really helps pull the smoke flavor out as well.

Thanks, I have two electric smokers that are different sizes and love them. I think electric smokers give you more control over the smoke. Too much pitch taste bitter to me.

Thanks for checking out our food

Thats what I was thinking too. Esp chicken I would atleast add 2 T of Tenderquick.

Boy, I need to get the hang of where to reply on this site.

I don’t use potassium nitrite or sodium nitrate. They have 1 tablespoon of salt and sugar per pound of meat that does a good enough job curing them. The freezer does the rest. Some sausage is cold smoked for 24 hours or more and needs nitrites to protect it. These are brought up to an internal temperature of 160 with in 5-6 hours in 180-degree smoking, so it’s more like cooking them while they smoke. The smoked paprika really helps pull the smoke flavor out as well.

Back