MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Thanks for the info on the briskets
When I saw this thread I went to the Torrance Costco to see if they had any.
I just came home with two
Dropped them in my freezer!
This is unbelievable!
Silverfinger that's awesome. Thanks for posting and now we know there are other locations that carry it as well. I've been to the Hawthorne costco business and they carry selects for IIRC 2.29/lb so you can't beat this for sure.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Silverfinger that's awesome. Thanks for posting and now we know there are other locations that carry it as well.
Yep,
Looks like we have just been overrun with prime briskets!
I sure hope Costco keeps them coming!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
gtr

I can't get there 'til next week, so nobody go to the Culver City one until then.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Heads up on Costco possibly starting to bring in packer briskets to SoCal warehouses and CAB Prime at that. It is not offered at the warehouse that I usually go to but maybe it's a start.

Thanks to brother PC132 on the below thread he started and picked up a prime brisket from Costco here in SoCal(Burbank).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=170325

I happened to be in the Burbank area so I thought I'll just check and found this:

$2.79 a pound???!!?!? That's awesome!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
glaudds
Got Wood.

Thanks for the heads up...I was at the Burbank Costco yesterday and picked up the last two whole prime briskets they had. Couldn't pass up the price ($2.79).

I'm new to smoking and have been soaking up all the great info on this site. I've got three briskets in the freezer (I bought a choice flat at Costco a few weeks ago for $4.09) and I've never even cooked one! Once I digest all the collective experience from this site, I will make my first attempt!
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Was at the Temecula Costco on Friday, and did not see any, need to keep a closer eye out! that is a great price.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
SY82
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Picked up a couple briskets at the Burbank Costco yesterday. When I went there, there were only two packers available dated 9/6/2013 on their labels. One looked all right, but the other just didn't feel right to me. So I asked the guy working in the back if he had anymore. He said he'll go check the back, and after a couple minutes he came back and said, "Nope. That's it. That's all we have." I took the one I liked and went around shopping for other things. I happened to pass by the meat section about ten minutes later, and I see the same guy putting out three more brisket packers. I caught his eye; he gave me a sheepish look, and he went to the back and acted like he was busy. I went over and saw that the new ones were dated 9/7/2013. Picked out another one that I liked, and I headed out.

Considering how well these packers are selling, I wouldn't be surprised if Costco starts jacking up prices very soon.
SY82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY82 View Post
Picked up a couple briskets at the Burbank Costco yesterday. When I went there, there were only two packers available dated 9/6/2013 on their labels. One looked all right, but the other just didn't feel right to me.

Considering how well these packers are selling, I wouldn't be surprised if Costco starts jacking up prices very soon.
Lol..I must of picked up the ones you didn't want as mine were dated 9/7. Since I'm a total noob, what is it you look for as far as feel when you choose a brisket?

I hope they don't jack up their prices....from what I understand about Costco pricing, they markup their items no more than 14% of their cost, with most items around 10%.
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #24
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

I went to my local Costco, Whittier/La Habra and they had Prime Packers there for the first time. There were five in the case. 4 of them were priced $3.99 and 1 for $2.79. I passed this time and now I think I made a mistake. I should have grabbed the $2.70 one. I didn't check the label on the higher priced ones. Hopefully they miss marked them. If not I hope no one buys them for $3.99 Maybe they will keep the price down.

Jerry

Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
SY82

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Lol..I must of picked up the ones you didn't want as mine were dated 9/7. Since I'm a total noob, what is it you look for as far as feel when you choose a brisket?

I hope they don't jack up their prices....from what I understand about Costco pricing, they markup their items no more than 14% of their cost, with most items around 10%.
I hope you are right about that.

About feel, I try to pick out ones that are floppy. There was one there that felt really stiff to me.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I hope you are right about that.

About feel, I try to pick out ones that are floppy. There was one there that felt really stiff to me.
I have read this several times on this site. In a past life, well it seems like another life ago I worked in the family meat business. Dad owned a packing house in Vernon. I worked there for 13 years. Any meat that was floppy came from a poorer quality steer. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't cook great and maybe that's the secret for good brisket. But if I was picking a New York or Rib Eye it sure wouldn't be floppy.

Jerry

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
SY82

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I have read this several times on this site. In a past life, well it seems like another life ago I worked in the family meat business. Dad owned a packing house in Vernon. I worked there for 13 years. Any meat that was floppy came from a poorer quality steer. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't cook great and maybe that's the secret for good brisket. But if I was picking a New York or Rib Eye it sure wouldn't be floppy.

Jerry
Yeah, I don't know if I'm just following myth and blaming previous poor results on how floppy the brisket is, but just from my own experience, there seems to be a correlation between floppiness and better cooks (for me, at least). Maybe they are easier to cook, maybe it's just plain dumb, luck with no statistical significance. I'm just going by what has worked for me so far. Maybe one day, I'll be forced to pick up a stiff brisket, and it'll be the best brisket I ever cooked. But until then, I'm just doing what I like to do. Kind of like superstition, I guess (maybe).

Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #28
ssv3

Quote:
Picked up a couple briskets at the Burbank Costco yesterday. When I went there, there were only two packers available dated 9/6/2013 on their labels. One looked all right, but the other just didn't feel right to me. So I asked the guy working in the back if he had anymore. He said he'll go check the back, and after a couple minutes he came back and said, "Nope. That's it. That's all we have." I took the one I liked and went around shopping for other things. I happened to pass by the meat section about ten minutes later, and I see the same guy putting out three more brisket packers. I caught his eye; he gave me a sheepish look, and he went to the back and acted like he was busy. I went over and saw that the new ones were dated 9/7/2013. Picked out another one that I liked, and I headed out.

Yep! When I was there I came across only three packers myself and took one home. So they seem to be selling which is good. I don't trust the lazy meat dept employees either. It's a luck of the draw on who you talk to. Glad you scored some.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #29
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_pete View Post
Was at the Temecula Costco on Friday, and did not see any, need to keep a closer eye out! that is a great price.
Hey Pete check the surrounding locations if there are any. My regular warehouse I shop at doesnt carry them but the next closest location does.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #30
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Thanks for the heads up...I was at the Burbank Costco yesterday and picked up the last two whole prime briskets they had. Couldn't pass up the price ($2.79).

I'm new to smoking and have been soaking up all the great info on this site. I've got three briskets in the freezer (I bought a choice flat at Costco a few weeks ago for $4.09) and I've never even cooked one! Once I digest all the collective experience from this site, I will make my first attempt!
Glad you snagged it as well. Quite a few of us brethern in the area it seems. I'm in the CV foothills.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior