MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For me I have always made my own rubs. However spices do go stale even if they are vacuum packed. I don't think I can get spices fresher than the big boys just because of quantity. Especially this time of year those rubs will just sit there waiting for fair weather. Cost sure you can make your own cheaper than buying the ready made. I put a mark on the lid of one of Emerill's rubs last spring and the bottle is still on the shelf. I am going to switch to ready made rubs from one or more of the sponsors of this site. I and my guests want the best so a few bucks wont make any difference to me.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Problem I found with a lot of (not all) commercial rubs is that the first ingredient is salt. I understand salt can make some foods taste better but usually there a bit to salty. I made my same rub for years and always came in second or third with ribs then last year I decided to make a new one. I was cooking pork loin for a friends wedding reception and when I opened the smoker I knew I had hit the mark with this rub. The next weekend we did a comp and finally nailed first place with our ribs. Also we were vending pulled pork and had many many comments of how our pulled pork was so much better than the rest of the teams. I will admit you have to use the freshest spices you can find and I also understand it's up to individual taste. You have to think of what taste profile your looking for I think. Not to say there is anything wrong with commercial rubs because there isn't I just think when I'm at a comp. I want everything to be from MY recipes including rubs and sauces. But that's just my opinion.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

I just enjoy mixing up my own rubs. It's fun to try different combinations of spices and flavors and then see what the reactions are from friends and family. Some turn out great...some not so great...
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

What you call a professional supplier is just a step above your own abilities. I doubt ANY of the BBQ food suppliers not named 'Kraft" or its equals have quality control labs much more than an accurate scale. That said, it is helpful to find a commercial product you like and tweak it - just keep a record. What distinguishes 'the BBQ layperson' from the pro is not much more than his stuff is available for sale.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not even gonna get into the "which is better" discussion... taste is so subjective.

What I don't understand is the need to purchase in bulk. For my own personal use I don't need pounds and pounds of the stuff. I mix my rubs up at about 1 cup at the time.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I have a thing about trying to figure out different commercial rubs at home and I figured out one of the most popular ones here but nope outta respect for this man and his great product I can't divulge it. I will say it's from Maryland. I take the ingredients and break them down till I find what's right. It's pricey but it's an expensive hobby I have. My lips are zipped.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i don't think i could make better rubs than the ones from simply marvelous, dizzy pig, 3eyez, the rub co., plowboys, etc.... i'll combine rubs, add sugar, add salt, add pepper, but i always start out with a commercial rub.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Bludawg

Different strokes.... I like playing with my food ergo I mix my own. Mad Man thank that young man for me I wish him well on his "Adventure" I know your proud of him.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #24
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
How about the rub used by the # 1 Team in the nation. 3 Eyz Rub. Says something when you can use what the best are using.
I'd wager a good sum that what is in the bottle you get aint the same as what they use you really think Paul Newman used that crap that is in that bottle... I got some Ocean front property in AZ I can let you have below market price.

Look, If I develop a flavor profile that wins on a steady basis I can make a whole new rub just not as good and put it in a bottle and sell it as my brand. Others will buy it thinking ts the same and looking for my success. Increasing my bottom line and swing the odds for a GC in my favor, and that is a WIN.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a mix of both commercial rubs and home made. I have not found a commercial rub that touches the rib rub I use. Although I really like Fast Eddy rub on my grilled food. And Famous Dave's Chickn' Wing rub on my chicken wings. Then there's the Blazin' Blends Zesty Seasoned Salt that I get from the Dollar Tree that I love on grilled veggies and steaks.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Making my own rubs is part of the fun for me. I'm not selling bbq so I don't have to worry about consistency. I don't do comps so it is not an issue there either.

I'm seasoned enough now as a BBQ'er that even when I make a rub I don't particularly like. The Q is still very good. But to each his own. We is all differents!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'd wager a good sum that what is in the bottle you get aint the same as what they use you really think Paul Newman used that crap that is in that bottle... I got some Ocean front property in AZ I can let you have below market price.
Whaaaaacccchhhaaaaa! I was thinking the same thing. It's called maketing and people do it. Nicholas cage got it right in conair! "sorry boss, there's 2 people in this world I trust. Ones me and the others not you."
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Simply marvelous turns out the best food at my house. Sometimes I do something cheaper or somehow different and I always regret it. When steph starts selling stock I will be buying.
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I will probably have some opposition here, but in the end I think it is best to leave the rubs to the professional suppliers. They buy in extreme bulk at discounts, they have professional mixing and measuring equipment. In the end they have the quality control labs to provide you with a consistent product that will not change from cook to cook.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Myron Mixon said that at one of his classes- if you're gonna buy one and make the other, buy the rub.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
i don't think i could make better rubs than the ones from simply marvelous, dizzy pig, 3eyez, the rub co., plowboys, etc....
I really like SM rubs, but they're a little sweet for my tastes (except for peppered cow and season all). My personal favorites are Plowboys and 3eyz, and while I've never tried dizzy pig, I hear great things.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 03-06-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote