CyberQ WiFi Web Service Info (Super Nerdy)

This is cool stuff. :icon_cool
I did some basic (does that count?), dBase coding and Unix shell scripting in the past. I'm not learning a new language for this though. :hand:

I'll wait for you guys. :thumb:

Bob

Does anyone know if any of the BBQ Guru folks hang out around here? I'd love to know how receptive they are to feature requests for future releases (or if they even have future software updates planned).

Some of the things that I think could be added with nearly trivial effort, but would yield big advantages for application developers:

• Add an additional status document/page in JSONP format as palmtreerfb mentions. This will all cross-domain ajax requests to work, so there is much that can be done in a web page (no "app" required).
  • Add the cook, food1, food2, food3 setpoints to the status output. Currently they only exist in the main status page, making them inconvenient to obtain.
  • Add a "fan override" Boolean and possibly a "fan override percent" integer post variables. This could allow an external app to implement completely custom cook logic.

Other suggestions or ideas?

Does anyone know if any of the BBQ Guru folks hang out around here? I'd love to know how receptive they are to feature requests for future releases (or if they even have future software updates planned).

Some of the things that I think could be added with nearly trivial effort, but would yield big advantages for application developers:

• Add an additional status document/page in JSONP format as palmtreerfb mentions. This will all cross-domain ajax requests to work, so there is much that can be done in a web page (no "app" required).
  • Add the cook, food1, food2, food3 setpoints to the status output. Currently they only exist in the main status page, making them inconvenient to obtain.
  • Add a "fan override" Boolean and possibly a "fan override percent" integer post variables. This could allow an external app to implement completely custom cook logic.
Other suggestions or ideas?

I am not sure if the BBQ Guru folks hang out here or not - I am fairly new myself. I like your enhancement ideas. I was thinking the same thing about the set points last night when I was working on my app - and the fan override would be a good idea - I just wonder how flexible the hardware is to add new features?? :-D

I am not sure if the BBQ Guru folks hang out here or not - I am fairly new myself. I like your enhancement ideas. I was thinking the same thing about the set points last night when I was working on my app - and the fan override would be a good idea - I just wonder how flexible the hardware is to add new features?? :-D

I have a hunch about what the CyberQ is based on under the hood (I haven't taken mine apart yet). If I'm correct, it is very similar to a device that I had to deal with at my job a while back. The hardware is somewhat limited, but adequate in processing power, I/O, and code and data storage size. There should be room to add some small additional features that allow an external app to provide any desired capabilities, but don't expect large new feature sets to be implemented on the device itself.

We made a shockingly similar set of requests for enhancements and it was not much effort at all for the developer to add them. The setpoint enhancements and jsonp presentation should be very simple - that is just a new presentation of variables that already exist in the web pages. The fan override stuff is probably doesn't exist as-is internally, but should be straightforward to add.

@fatdoggie - I sent an email to the BBQ Guru folks and linked this thread. I think there is a lot opportunity for them to work with us and if third party apps start hitting the street - it could mean more sales for them. I'll let you know what they say.

@fatdoggie - I sent an email to the BBQ Guru folks and linked this thread. I think there is a lot opportunity for them to work with us and if third party apps start hitting the street - it could mean more sales for them. I'll let you know what they say.
:mrgreen: I did the same thing a couple hours ago :mrgreen:

I guess now they know we're interested and enthused about their product!

First prototype :razz:

CyberQWifiDevWinForm.png

First prototype :razz:

CyberQWifiDevWinForm.png

Excellent work there , enough to make me choose to buy the wifi guru , I figured the data was available to capture when I first saw the new guru, and I'm glad to see the collection and graphing is doable in winform which lends credence to belief that it's doable for all platforms. Given the time and effort. I sure hope someone at guru is paying attention to this effort here. This is a product that would benefit greatly with some good apps.

As soon as I can get mine from 5-0 I'd love to do any beta testing that might be needed.

Excellent work there , enough to make me choose to buy the wifi guru , I figured the data was available to capture when I first saw the new guru, and I'm glad to see the collection and graphing is doable in winform which lends credence to belief that it's doable for all platforms. Given the time and effort. I sure hope someone at guru is paying attention to this effort here. This is a product that would benefit greatly with some good apps.

As soon as I can get mine from 5-0 I'd love to do any beta testing that might be needed.

Downey eh, I'm here in Buena Park neighbor :thumb:

Nice work palmtreerfb! That's looking very nice.

I didn't do any coding this weekend, but I did manage to smoke a pork shoulder overnight with the CyberQ this weekend.

Here's my observations:
  • When I first power the unit up with email alarms are enabled, it beeps for a LONG time before it finally shuts up and finishes the startup process. At first I thought something was broken! Maybe the inital beeping shouldn't start until after the SMTP initialization is complete :grin:
  • In my BGE, the PID loop worked great. I did lower the proportional bandwidth to 25 degrees just because I wasn't too worried about initial overshoot. The whole cook, it held the temps VERY solid - I think one time I saw a 7 degree swing for a few minutes, but that was probably just a new hunk of lump lighting up. I did not close the damper on the 10CFM fan at all during the cook.
  • I have a bit of an issue with my pit temp showing OPEN *just* long enough to trigger an email alarm and the unit starts beeping an alarm and showing a very high temp for the cook probe on the LCD that requires a keypress to clear. Shortly thereafter, I get another email showing the correct pit temp. Perhaps multiple samples over some interval before triggering an alert is in order if I'm not the only one seeing this?

Overall, I'm very extremely pleased. I checked the temp several times during the night and monitored it very closely the following day with my little toy app and the control was was spot on. I performed no adjustments of the exhaust on my BGE in 18 hours (left the daisy wheel about 1/4 open the whole time). I opened the lid a couple times and had no problems bringing the temp back under control afterwards.

I'm finally going to be able to do overnight smokes AND get a good night's sleep! This is so much better than having a Maverick sitting on the nightstand waking me up in the middle of the night.

Great ideas for ios apps. Looking forward to downloading one or more apps to my iPad and iPhone.

Succeeded in getting my CyberQ WiFi to recognize my household Internet WiFi router. Now I must work on a gateway to access the CyberQ device via the Internet; can't do that yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Certainly would be easier if there were an app with all the good features discussed here, and most important to me and future users - -
download-and-play, no brainier up-and-run!

In the above apps, can the food probes be re named by the operator? You might want the first probe to be pork, the second brisket, the third chicken. It might be handy for someone competing.

Will the new cyber wifi support multi food probes ( more than 3)?
Thanks,
jon

Back