Dreamland?

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on Dreamland BBQ goods from Birmingham, AL?

My MIL's sister sent her a ton of stuff from Dreamland, and when we were over earlier today for Christmas, she was trying to offload some of it because it was just too much stuff for her.

I got a precooked rack of spares, a big tub of slaw and a big jar of sauce.

My MIL hated the sauce, she said it was spicy. I tried some after getting home, and it is on the thin side, and it is spicy. My first thought was pulled pork with that sauce. I've had far better, but I thought it was workable.

As for the ribs...well...I'm about as optimistic about those as any precooked ribs really, but I could be surprised. I know nothing about this "Dreamland" place.

The slaw came frozen, it definitely looks like a vinegar slaw with chunks of pepper in it.

I guess if the ribs aren't all that good, I might get some good pulled pork sammiches out of it if I cook up a butt by using the slaw and sauce.

Who is familiar with this stuff?

just looked it up.
they do have their chit together though.
good model too use if yr a business guy.

I have a jar and I did not care for it. Others use to swear by it on here a few years ago; hence the purchase.

Q up a couple of chickens to about 165. (or jsut roast them)

Pull all the meat off the bones into a big pan or wok, douse with Dreamland BBQ sauce and heat on the stove for 7-8 minutes tossing the meat and getting it well covered(and bring temps up higher). Add more sauce and serve that with garlic bread or toasted rolls....

THEN talk to us.. :)

This is a 'go to' recipe I ALWAYS serve for football games.. or friends just hanging out.. its good stuff. If you dont like it, i'll buy any sauce u dont want.:becky: . i always have a few jars in the house.. always include it in orders, etc..

I can't personally think of pre-cooked, packaged BBQ in the same way I look at fresh cooked BBQ. Sure, i still like my ribs a day or two after I make them, but it isn't the same as eating them fresh off the smoker.

Commercially cooked BBQ shrink wrapped better be farking awesome before it is shrink wrapped, or it is just one more commercial package of ribs.

To me, it doesn't matter if it came from Dreamland or Chef-boy-R-Dee -- If it is mass produced, it just isn't the same as something cooked at home.

As for the sauce, I don't know anything about it. I just don't care for pre-cooked bbq meats, other than jerky.

CD

We stopped at Dreamland in Birmingham about 5 or 6 years ago. I had the pulled pork and i think my wife had the chicken. Thought the food, service and decor was very good. I bought a t-shirt but no sauce.

When we got to Tennessee my wife discovered that she had left her purse there. We called Dreamland and a server had found it but we were gone when they ran to the parking lot. Instead of driving back several hours we had them mail it to us. The manager wouldn't let us pay postage, told us "we mail things all the time". The purse (with all it's contents) was well-packaged and arrived in Texas before we did (we spent a couple of days in TN with family).

Haven't been back to Alabama but if ever in Birmingham (or Tuscaloosa) will definitely be stopping at Dreamland.

I went to the Dreamland in Birmingham a few years ago and don't remember the taste of the sauce. I didn't much care for the 'que (pulled pork and ribs), so I guess the sauce would be a major contributor to the dissatisfaction? Of course, this is my personal opinion, and everyone has one!

The Dreamland that used to be in Conyers, GA was awesome. We used to stop on the way back to SC and eat there on every trip. They served a bowl of their warmed sauce with fresh white bread to dip it in. It was amazing. We went to Dreamland in Huntsville, AL earlier this year and everything was the same up through being served the warmed sauce and bread, after that the food was very disappointing. And that is being kind. I doubt if I will ever set foot in there again.

We also went to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL on another trip and I have to say I wasn't very impressed there either.

I love Dreamland's sauce and maybe we just walked into the one in Huntsville on a bad night but I don't see myself returning.

Last edited:
Dreamland is a very famous very old BBQ joint in Tuscaloosa, AL frequented by many Alabama legends including Bear Bryant. The original served only ribs, sauce, white bread and beer for many MANY years. They famously have a sign that says "No Farting". The ribs are cooked on a unique grill direct and slow kind of like the Rendezvous. I have had a great slab there and a horrible slab. Typical of the old school places. The sauce is legendary and I like it.

Then they started a franchise arm and of course they needed a full menu. Last time I was at the original they had added slaw, beans, banana pudding (that was kickass) and a sausage special. I have no clue what the packaged ribs are but there is absolutely zero chance they are cooked like the original place does.

I haven't eaten at any of the franchise places but there's your history lesson.

We have a Dreamland up the road in Norcross ~ I was not impressed. The spare ribs were dry (their signature dish) and the pulled pork was worse. A few years later we were pulling an all day at work so they catered lunch. Yep, Dreamland was on the menu so I gave it another go. Just as bad as the last time. :doh:

However, I did like their sauce ~ I'm a spicy sauce kind of gal. It is on the thin side so I can see it working very well with pulled pork, chicken, beef, etc.

Being from Alabama, Dreamland is in my backyard. I absolutely love the original one in Tuscaloosa and I really like their sauce. Several years ago, they opened one in Montgomery and it is not as good as the original. I am old enough to remember going to Tuscaloosa and eating in this little shack that only sold ribs, white bread and Cokes from a bottle. That was Dreamland.

Thanks for the feedback.:thumb: I'm definitely looking forward to trying the sauce now.:hungry: Luckily it's a big jar so I can try it a few different ways. I definitely hope to try the chicken, fatty, and make some ribs with it.

Do they sauce the ribs at all, or is it served on the side? Just wondering.

I forgot to mention that I got a Pecan Pie too.

I guess for the pre-cooked ribs, slaw and the pie, I should be prepared in case I am underwhelmed!:becky:

Yep - I once had one of their wait staff shirts from Tuscaloosa: "No Beans, No Slaw, Don't Ask". Loved the original, but last two visits to new locations were just ok.

Dreamland is a very famous very old BBQ joint in Tuscaloosa, AL frequented by many Alabama legends including Bear Bryant. The original served only ribs, sauce, white bread and beer for many MANY years. They famously have a sign that says "No Farting". The ribs are cooked on a unique grill direct and slow kind of like the Rendezvous. I have had a great slab there and a horrible slab. Typical of the old school places. The sauce is legendary and I like it.

Then they started a franchise arm and of course they needed a full menu. Last time I was at the original they had added slaw, beans, banana pudding (that was kickass) and a sausage special. I have no clue what the packaged ribs are but there is absolutely zero chance they are cooked like the original place does.
I haven't eaten at any of the franchise places but there's your history lesson.

Like all places the business is only as good as it's manager.
The Dreamland in Tuscaloosa and the one in Conyars,Ga. were better than some of the others. I live 60 miles from the one in B-Ham, and believe me, it's not worth the trip, to me...
Several years ago I got invited back and spent a little time with the guys doing the smoking (In Conyars,Ga.) Nice folks. :clap2:
Their ribs were very good, but I didn't care for the sauce either.

Too funny, I was just at my BIL's today and we were talking about BBQ and his recent trip to Alabama. He told me he someone he new there had taken him to a BBQ place called Dreamland. He even showed me the picture he had on his phone of the "no farting" sign.

Outlaw Swine hooked me up with a large jar of Dreamland sauce in the last trade round that I have yet to try. I guess I'll have to get on that and check back in.

I have been once, about 9 months ago. It is a neat place, but I was not greatly impressed with the ribs. Glad it's not just me. I bought a bottle of sauce to try on PP, and it's OK. I would eat there again and give it another chance.

I've never been to Dreamland or tried their sauce so I've no advice.

We also went to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL on another trip and I have to say I wasn't very impressed there either.

Curious if you went to the one on the belt line, or on HWY 31 South (The original location)? It seems the quality of Gibson's has gone way far South since they opened up more than the one location, and I was never impressed with their second shop. In the 60s and 70s it was awesome Q though.

Back