MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

Default Liner Removal

Has anybody tried just sanding the liner out without doing a Burnout? If so. What is the best process?
If i have to use a weed burner, would not too intense of heat work to remove the liner without damaging the exterior paint?
I just acquired some barrels and they are painted white and look good. I want to keep the white exterior because of the paint scheme i want to do.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

If that is the direction you wish to go, use a grinder with a wire wheel.

Or you could use one of the flap sanding discs, they have those at Home Depot.

But you are missing out on a nice fire side evening with beer and hot dogs.
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

What color is the liner?

And I would imagine there is liner paint within the seams, particularly the bottom crimp seams, that you won't be able to sand out.
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

It does not take that long to hand sand the outside and paint. Find a good place, some quality supplies and get after it. A palm type sander will help greatly. On the inside, should you decide to go forward, you can find a sandblaster that will save lots of hassle and effort. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Chopjaw

Why not take to someplace to have them sand blast the inside of the barrel? Seems like a way easier method than doing by hand in your garage. Unless you like to do it that way.

sent from phone.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

What kind of paint is the outside of the barrel painted with? If it is not high heat paint then the first time you set a fire in there to season your smoker the white paint will peel off.
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
billjesstaylor
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I tried to go that route and not burn. Started sanding and was tough going. Decided to burn for fun. Then tried sanding and came out much easier. I used my angle grinder with a blue stripping pad. Its made by Norton and is called Rapid Strip. I did have to use a few for the inside and out because they wear out after a while. But I was happy with them. They are sold at Fleet Farm and Home Depot.
billjesstaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
BamaRambler

The Liner is Tan. The exteror white paint seems to be several coats thick. It may or may not be high heat paint. I'm trying not to have to repaint it. If i sand the inside, why couldn't a weed burner be used on the seams.
I'll try sanding the lower portion and weed burn the bottom seam, plus that will help indicate if ther exterior paint is high heat or not. If that don't work then i guess i'll do a full blown burn out and repaint.
Thanks for ya'll input.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Easiest way to remove a liner is toss the barrel and get a good one. Compare the cost of a new clean drum vs your time, health and savings on the grub you will be cooking and tell me how much you saved by removing the liner.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I'd be willing to bet that this cup brush on an angle grinder would remove about anything in its path. I picked up an angle grinder today and bought one of these to go with it...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77591-70-DW4...3D2&facetInfo=

Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Wampus

I had a barrel sandblasted recently. They did the whole thing inside and out for $25. They were gonna just do the inside for $20. I've seen folks on here that got it done for a LOT less $. Check with a local sandblaster and see what they can do. No mess (at least not yours).

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba

Liner schminer, powerwash, season and enjoy.

YMMV.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote