Royal Oak

hardy02ttu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just tried Royal Oak Charcoal, this stuff is friggin awesome! I have to say thanks to all of the brethren that talk about it on here, otherwise I probably would have never tried it.

Ya i love it, i try to buy 3 or 4 bags when i see it at walmart. You talkin lump charcoal right?

The wally world here hasn't had any RO lump for the past 2 months

If I gotta pay full price, unlike I did for my 18-18#K Blue Bags, I always pick Royal Oak Lump best stuff ever!!!!!

The wally world here hasn't had any RO lump for the past 2 months

Ask the store manager or department manager to bring in some. They should have it in the distribution center and can get it. They may not know they are out of stock.

I like r/o too. Now go try some Stubb's. I think it's the best. I often mix it 60/40 Stubbs/ Royal oak. K who?

i second RO as being the best... its ALMOST as good as wicked good but it's 1/2 the price

i like it a lot.

You guys use RO to smoke in Weber kettles? Im a total newb so just finding out the best bag here.

have to agree here too. was using wicked good exclusively, but i wanted to cut some que costs and tried royal oak. very similar burn for 1/2 the price. quite happy with it.

Another good one is Fire King. They are local here in Missouri and I've never got the chips and dust in the bottom of my bags like I have with other, but I like Royal Oak also.

Another is Ozark Oak. Little over $3 for a 10# bag.

i use royal oak for my regular cooks and wicked good for my long cooks. i will use royal oak for ribs, but not for pork butts, if i'm cooking over 10 or so pounds.

I'm a RO convert also.
I had been buying some stuff from the local Kroger - generic brown sack of "lump", but it ended up being 50% or more of "shake"...not "lump".

Switched to RO and WOW - THIS is lump charcoal!!

I've only tried Kingsford Blue and RO lump in my UDS, but I much prefer RO. Burns clean with little ash, and doesn't leave an aftertaste on the food. I have found, though, that I have better luck keeping temps stable if I use Kingsford as the "minion" starter in a basket full of RO. So I do keep both around.

Here's my 2 pennies worth.

I've tried 2 bags of each suff, I've made sure the conditions where about the same.

I've found out that the stuff called The good one works a little better.

The good one lump coals, actually burns longer and hotter then Royal oak,

Royal oak is not cheap, the good one is descent priced,

Royal oak seems to have small bits and crackles, snap & pops a lot more then the Good one,

Royal oak in my opionion is not worth it.

Thanks

Derek.

My 2 pennies worth!

Back