Royal Oak

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any so cal brethren know where I can get some royal oak, they use to have it at wall mart, but not anymore. I tried the web but they don't have a website as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated:-D

Walmart in HB had it last week. I am heading there tomorrow am and will check on it for you. I also have a few bags at home I could spare if need be.

Last edited:
Thanks HB Let me know if they have it, No rush just trying to get a jump on future catering jobs.:-D

I have found, that Wal-Mart like all the other box stores do not think that we cook all year long. Therefore, we do not need charcoal except during the last spring until late summer. Usually from Memorial day to Labor day is all that is allowed to bbq in their books.

Mine doesn't have it yet, but they did tell me it should be in maybe in a month or so....:mad: But I did learn my lesson a couple of years ago, and late summer I stock up... all they have :biggrin:. They got the hint last year, and even got in a extra pallet late September.... I try to get enough to hold me over the winter. I still have about 100 lbs left....

Time to stock up again.

BTW, RO does NOT have a website. I did have their phone number in GA, and I called them. They will tell you who stocks it, but they don't know if or how much is in stock at each store.

the dollar general stores carry it in our area. i just saw a big stack of it at out local store. i always thought it was a cheap charcoal and never tried it. was i wrong??

I don't know anything about RO is it a briquet or is it like chunks of wood that has been carbonized? The stuff I found yesterday in the Oxnard Wally world said Royal Oak in orange bag and weighed 10 lbs. Was about 5.97 per bag. If this is what you are after it is here.

Is this stuff any good?:icon_bigsmil

I don't know anything about RO is it a briquet or is it like chunks of wood that has been carbonized? The stuff I found yesterday in the Oxnard Wally world said Royal Oak in orange bag and weighed 10 lbs. Was about 5.97 per bag. If this is what you are after it is here.

RO makes both briquettes and lump. In fact there are 2 kinds of lump; one is North American hardwoods and one is from South/Central America. I have never tried the SA variety, but the NA lump is a good chrcoal.
I have also never tried the Briquettes.

So far the only place carrying it here is the Lowe's. And I noticed recently that they were getting low, about 10 bags left. A buddy of mine that lives in Salt Lake City noticed the same thing and asked about it. They told him that the were going to quit carrying it. Sounds like I might be out of luck on the RO which is my preferred briquet...

Thanks HB Let me know if they have it, No rush just trying to get a jump on future catering jobs.:-D
Well bad news my friend, I stopped in today and the two pallets they had just last week were gone with nothing in their place. Same thing happened last year to me, it was in stock all winter and as soon as the spring stuff came in, it disappeared with pallets of Kingsford in its place. The only other lump I have seen around here lately is Lazzari Mesquite at Smart&final but I wouldn't want to cook on it myself.

My understanding is/was the Royal Oak Lump is the same thing as the BGE Lump. BGE is made by Royal Oak just marketed and sold in a different wrapper. So if you have a BBQ Galore nearby they sell it.

I read somewhere that Sams Chioce is made by Royal Oak
They are the same thing I have not confirmed this myself

Restaurant Depot $8.XX a bag. just got some a week or so ago.

My understanding is/was the Royal Oak Lump is the same thing as the BGE Lump. BGE is made by Royal Oak just marketed and sold in a different wrapper. So if you have a BBQ Galore nearby they sell it.

thanks I didn't want to spend the BGE price:-D

I haven't used RO in years, but I can confirm that I do not like Sam's Choice. It could be the fact that my local wally stores it outdoors and it's been rained on.

Thom is there a Sam's Choice lump or are you talking about their briquettes?

I tried the Sam's briquettes a long time ago and they were not much different than K. I did see they have larger briquettes available in the Sam's now so I may try those when my Rancher stash dries up. I like both the RO lump and the RO briquettes when I can get them but they are hard to find. The lump works good for me mixed with Rancher in the BWS and for grilling the RO briquettes are choice.

I haven't used RO in years, but I can confirm that I do not like Sam's Choice. It could be the fact that my local wally stores it outdoors and it's been rained on.

Yea Charcoal that gets wet is not going to burn properly
I will give one bag a try in a non comp or cater use

RO has both, briquets and lump.

If memory serves me right, that is about what I pay for the lump.... that is what I try to use. I stay away from the briquets so not to have so much ash after a long cook... I will use some briquets on occasion and will usually have a few bags, but lump is my preferred choice. I neglected to mention that in my first post.

Thom is there a Sam's Choice lump or are you talking about their briquettes?

I tried the Sam's briquettes a long time ago and they were not much different than K. I did see they have larger briquettes available in the Sam's now so I may try those when my Rancher stash dries up. I like both the RO lump and the RO briquettes when I can get them but they are hard to find. The lump works good for me mixed with Rancher in the BWS and for grilling the RO briquettes are choice.

I read that the Briquettes are RO in a different bag
But I read that in a BBQ forum other than the Brethren
So you never know about that type of info :)
NO ONE EVER tells a half truth at the Brethren

RO has both, briquets and lump.

If memory serves me right, that is about what I pay for the lump.... that is what I try to use. I stay away from the briquets so not to have so much ash after a long cook... I will use some briquets on occasion and will usually have a few bags, but lump is my preferred choice. I neglected to mention that in my first post.

Glad ta have ya here
I do believe i have see ya on the Boards before Welcome

Back