How NOT to do brisket - Mega Failure!! WARNING - Not for Weak Stomachs!!

Nice save, but sorry about the first part. I'll bet that SUCKED!
I don't think I'd be able to have slept a wink.

So, how much $ did that cost you? I'm assuming that the guy having the party paid for the meats? Did you have to pony up for the tri-tip?

Anyway....thanks for posting. And nice save with the TT.:clap2:

Wow, sorry that happened to you, and those poor briskets- tenderizer is the Devil! :twisted:
The tri-tip looks lovely, though. :thumb:

I appreciate the advance warning. Thanks for sharing and good job with the salvage.

Man that's a real bummer...I am glad that you were able to salvage the event with the tri-tips :clap2:

Yeah, contemplating the cost part of all that meat is what makes me the sickest. :puke:

Well, briskets were $1.65/lb @ wally world... and it was prolly closer to 100lbs of brisket (average 14lbs each x 7= 98lbs) so that cost about $160... 56lbs of tri-tip at $3.68/lb makes for another $200.... plus the cost of rub, wood, charcoal, injection <--:mad2:

What was the most expensive was the cost of my pride... :tsk:
Here I had to call a friend and tell him that there won't be brisket on the table that afternoon and was tri-tip an acceptable alternative (please say yes, please say yes! :pray:)...

The friend was paying me a few hundred bucks to cook... that turned into less... It was totally my fault, I couldn't ask him to pay for it. Live & learn!

Looks good for Bunswick Stew

Sounds like brisket tacos for the next few months!

NUTZ

Wasn't suitable for anything... I promise you, if you even got the slightest amount of the mushy stuff in a bite, it ruined the whole thing... it was incredibly gross. Wasn't even like the mush had good flavor, really strange.
Reportedly another friend's dogs consumed it all, but I think he might have just been trying to make me feel good that "at least the dogs liked it".

Oh man I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

Laughing now (kinda), crying and angry then... I really cant convey how horrified I was upon discovering it, especially just hours before folks would be lining up for chow... very little sleep makes thinking & problem solving really difficult.

I heard once that the enzymes that are used as tenderizer (bromelain & papain), work much better/more aggressively at warmer temps and then are deactivated at around 160*... On a steak it wouldn't be a big deal since it's only on the surface and starts warming and then quickly hits 160*. I think the big problem for me was (and in BBQ in general) is that you put a large hunk of meat in a 250* smoker and then it takes the next 8 hours to hit 160*'ish... it has all that time to break down and eventually turns it into expensive dog food...

how do you barf and laugh at the same time ? not easy. good thinking on the tri tip save.

Well...I've never seen Shane's brisket only heard about it...

Thanks for the honest sharing! Must of been hard to do so, but that is the first step to recovery.:laugh:

Seriously though.. wow.. what nightmare to work through. Glad you ended up standing on both feet for the better. Also, I learned from you to read packages thoroughly.. even if you think you are safe.

This post is a BBQ equivalent of "BLOOD HIGHWAY" or "ROAD MUTILATIONS." You know the kind of videos they show teens as they begin to drive.. to scare them into doing the right things.:twitch:

CENSORED-1.jpg

wow...nice way to turn around the disaster..that was some quick thinking on your part!

As mentioned several times.... Thanks for the post of your disaster/save. Your lesson is now ours. I've never injected a brisket, but if I ever decide to try it, your experience will definately save me the grief and money!:shocked:

The only thing I kept thinking was too bad you wastes all of that prime dust.

Back