Smoked Salmon idea-Pr0n

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I hot smoked some salmon over apple wood after dry brining it 24 hours.
Currently it is about 10% cheaper than usual so I want to get through some.

In a stainless steel bowl I whipped up some unsalted butter till it was creamy, then added some creme fraiche and whisked them together.
Added shallots diced small, chives, garlic chives, juice of a lemon and some EVOO.
Then I gently flaked and incorporated the cold salmon

The finished consistency looks like this

Et voila!
Rillettes!

Of course, you know what a civilized person would need with smoked salmon rillettes?

:yo:

Brother that is looking DYNAMITE! I've half a dozen fillets left from my friend's trip to Alaska, and I now know what I'm doing with at least half of them. Is that as good as it looks?

also can you give me a guesstimate on the ratios for the other ingredients? thanks Buccas!

Brother that is looking DYNAMITE! I've half a dozen fillets left from my friend's trip to Alaska, and I now know what I'm doing with at least half of them. Is that as good as it looks?

also can you give me a guesstimate on the ratios for the other ingredients? thanks Buccas!

It's FAR better than it looks bro, its bloody delicious!
I'll write out a PM for you along with my thoughts about next time, using other herbs like tarragon for variety and so on.
Be about 15 hours from now.

Do it!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Giddy UP!!!!:clap2: Do have an actual recipe or a link? I smoke a lot of salmon and this would be a nice variation for the finished product!

Oh my, that looks fantastic. Any chance you could posts your thoughts here instead of in PM? :)

Salmon Rillettes
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, whisked till creamy in a small bowl
1/2 cup finely diced eschallotes (little twinned onions)
(I say this because downunder people confuse scallion with shallots, the muppets!:rolleyes:)
*3 tablespoon creme fraiche*
1 pound smoked salmon, gently flaked
lemon juice from one smaller lemon or half a large
3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced chives/garlic chives

In a small bowl, whisk butter until creamy. Use a fork, not a whisk!
THEN Whisk in creme fraiche.

Place cooked salmon in a bowl and flake it by hand. Add shallots, lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the butter mixture and stir in well. Finally add smoked salmon,stir gently to combine.
Place mixture in 2 glass serving bowls or jars. Tap on counter to force air pockets out. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or three.

Take rillettes from refrigerator and pour 1/4th inch layer of fresh EVOO over top of the rillettes to seal. They should last a week or so, food wise.
Days, human wise, if you are lucky.:wink:

Notice there is no salt mentioned.
That's because smoked salmon can be salty so season finally if it needs it, mine didn't.
Thoughts on next time:
I'm a recidivist experimenter, I always see cooking as a chance to do something differently so this is just the normal pattern that my poor woman suffers through.
I'll try gherkin juice instead of lemon, even tho this was exquisite I'll do it just to try.
You could substitute chives with tarragon/marjoram/dill/parsley.
Capers will go with this but I worry about the strenght buildup while in the mixture for a day or so, but it is on the list to play with.Right now I plan to add them after I spread it.

* If you don't have creme fraiche, you can mix cream with yogurt or buttermilk until you have a creamy, nutty taste with a tart edge to it.

Okay, that's all I can think of to say, except try this.
I got told last night that we are hitting the fish market again today! :cool::laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Buccs, it looks delicious! I'm thinking this might work well using my cold smoked canned salmon. Will give it a try. :thumb:

Back