When should I make my ABT's?

N

nascarchuck

My wife is having a Christmas luncheon at her work on Friday. She wants me to make 40 ABT's. I would love to, but the only problem is that I won't have the time to do anything with them after Monday (tomorrow).

Would they be ok if I assembled and cooked them tomorrow night, then refrigerate (or even freeze) them until friday? She said that they will just microwave them on Friday. I will be using cream cheese, (precooked) chicken fajita meat and bacon.

Would it be better if I assembled the ABT's tomorrow and had my son grill them Thursday? He is 13 and I am sort of afraid that he will not do a very good job at cooking them.

What do you suggest?

I would cook them, freeze them, and reheat them. Rather than nuking them to reheat, consider thawing them on Thursday and then using an electric roaster oven or even a crock pot at the office on Friday morning.

The other day I smoked some, wrapped in saran wrap when just cool enough, let cool and froze. I took out, unwrapped put in oven at 325 while getting ready. I also heated 2 red bricks wrapped in foil. I wrapped ABT's loosely in foil and put all in cooler. We had them at lunch and they were still hot. The bailiffs ate the remainder after we left. Man our jury pool gets service now like you wouldn't believe.

The other day I smoked some, wrapped in saran wrap when just cool enough, let cool and froze. I took out, unwrapped put in oven at 325 while getting ready. I also heated 2 red bricks wrapped in foil. I wrapped ABT's loosely in foil and put all in cooler. We had them at lunch and they were still hot. The bailiffs ate the remainder after we left. Man our jury pool gets service now like you wouldn't believe.

Well that's pretty cool!!:eusa_clap

I would cook them, freeze them, and reheat them. Rather than nuking them to reheat, consider thawing them on Thursday and then using an electric roaster oven or even a crock pot at the office on Friday morning.

How would you heat them in a crockpot? That idea would work great since I don't have any of the other items mentioned.:cry:

Thillin... Ya mean I was missed? I have just been really busy lately. Haven't even fired up the grill for a few months until last night.

I have micro-zapped ABT's and it works OK.
Not like fresh, but no complaints either.

Keep the power down---"gentle" is good and no longer than needed. :lol:

TIM

I have vacuum sealed some...froze them, let them thaw out overnight then just reheat on like 70% power to cook. They came out great. I think youll have to freeze, that long in fridge will make em soft. If you dont have a sealer I dont think its a prob, like the other post saran wrap will work just as good.

If you are going to freeze them, lay them on a cookie sheet(s) in a single layer and then put them in a zip lock freezer bag. Since they will not be in the freezer long you don't have to vac-seal them and they won't stick together.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I made some for us the other night and kept them in the fridge. I ate the last three last night before bed (mistake!) and I just nuked them for 1 minute at 50%. Turned out pretty good.

I think that I know what I am doing after I drop my wife off at work this morning... And I think that I will just put them in a foil pan and cover then just refrigerate them until Friday.

Anyone wanna come and help?:lol:

Back