MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

Default UDS Burn Out & Painting???

Ok, I have the 55 Gal. drum and i am exticed to build my UDS.
The drum had Coconut Oil in it. No Liner. The drum is upside down and i left the lid off sitting out and it rained. The bottom side of the lid now is all rusty. I am going to paint the UDS with high heat grill paint.

Now for some questions...are ya'll ready?
Do i need to do a burn out?
What do i do about the rust on the bottom side of the lid?
If burn out is needed and after taking a wire brush to the drum, is there something special to clean the drum with so the paint will stick?
Do i paint the inside of the drum in the bottom side of the lid?

I'm sure i will have more question.

Thanks in advance,
BamaRambler.
BamaRambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Did you read either of the UDS threads???
Not to sound like a jerk but alot of people have spent alot of time answering those very questions inside the threads...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

and

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

They are full of all kinds of info that you will find helpfull.
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRambler View Post
Ok, I have the 55 Gal. drum and i am exticed to build my UDS.
The drum had Coconut Oil in it. No Liner. The drum is upside down and i left the lid off sitting out and it rained. The bottom side of the lid now is all rusty. I am going to paint the UDS with high heat grill paint.

Now for some questions...are ya'll ready?
Do i need to do a burn out?
What do i do about the rust on the bottom side of the lid?
If burn out is needed and after taking a wire brush to the drum, is there something special to clean the drum with so the paint will stick?
Do i paint the inside of the drum in the bottom side of the lid?

I'm sure i will have more question.

Thanks in advance,
BamaRambler.
Do i need to do a burn out? .........I would

What do i do about the rust on the bottom side of the lid?........wipe off and season with your first seasioning.

If burn out is needed and after taking a wire brush to the drum, is there something special to clean the drum with so the paint will stick?......just follow paint can directions on surface prep(don't paint inside of barrel or lid)

Do i paint the inside of the drum in the bottom side of the lid?.....NO,NO,NO.

Now, go back and read the threads and alllllllllll your questions will be answered and then some. Just look at it as a right of passage. There is some serious stuff, some fun stuff, and a whole ton of wisdom on building a great running drum. ( Hint.....KISS )

Paul B

By the way.....I did read the ENTIRE uds thread......................

Take a look here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69650.

Last edited by Paul B; 09-29-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: adding some info
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

I had the same question. I just picked up 3 closed top lids without liners. I would like to paint the outside of the drums but I'm not sure if I have to burn the outside paint off or if I can just paint over with High Temp Grill paint. I have read most of the UDS thread and don't recall this specific question and I'm unable to use the search function.

Patrick
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
I had the same question. I just picked up 3 closed top lids without liners. I would like to paint the outside of the drums but I'm not sure if I have to burn the outside paint off or if I can just paint over with High Temp Grill paint. I have read most of the UDS thread and don't recall this specific question and I'm unable to use the search function.

Patrick
It's in the thread, but its the inside paint you have to worrie about

Old 09-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Give it a hot scrub with something like Dawn detergent and wait a few days to see if the inside rusts.

As far as the outside, I wouldn't do anything just yet. Use it for awhile. Paint it later if high temp paint if you feel compelled but they're called ugly drum smokers for a reason ya know.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
It's in the thread, but its the inside paint you have to worrie about
Its not the inside paint I'm worrried about since these drums are unlined and bare steel inside. I'm more concerned with the outside paint chipping or pealing if I don't burn it off before repainting. Like I said I'm sure its in the thread somewhere, and I have read through almost the entire thing, I don't recall this specifically being discussed or have the search feature to look.

Thanks
Patrick
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Its not the inside paint I'm worrried about since these drums are unlined and bare steel inside. I'm more concerned with the outside paint chipping or pealing if I don't burn it off before repainting. Like I said I'm sure its in the thread somewhere, and I have read through almost the entire thing, I don't recall this specifically being discussed or have the search feature to look.

Thanks
Patrick

They dont get more than 300* most of the time thats why you don't have to worrie about the outside paint. A lot of people use regular paint, some guys have stickers on them and those stay. even though the inside is unlined make sure you wash it and see that it rusts. some drums have clear coating on the inside to prevent rust and that makes for foul taste when its cooked use dawn or tide or similar soap to wash it out. If it rusts your good, if not burn it out.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Give it a hot scrub with something like Dawn detergent and wait a few days to see if the inside rusts.

As far as the outside, I wouldn't do anything just yet. Use it for awhile. Paint it later if high temp paint if you feel compelled but they're called ugly drum smokers for a reason ya know.

No liner,rusts on the inside?
You're good to go!
Wirebrushed my drums to get the rust off,don't know if that was necessary but still did.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Thanks
Patrick
or have the search feature to look.........

Yes you do...go to the bottom of any thread and you will see a long empty box with GOOGLE to the right of it. That searches this site only, at least that's what I understand.....

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
mcksr
Got Wood.

I used a gel type paint remover for the outside. I sprayed it on and after it cured for about 30 minutes, I used the pressure washer to knock the paint off. I then primed the outside with a clear rust inhibitor, let it dry over night and painted with heat resistant paint. The inside was washed with degreaser and pressure washed. I rubbed down the inside with cooking spray. I initiated the UDS by building a charcoal and wood fire in the fire box and let burn all day. It now has that beautiful black smoke coating on the inside.
Mike
Florida Smoker
mcksr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanks
Patrick

The drum isn't going to get hot enuff to make the original pain peel under normal usage say 200* to 300*. If you want to paint it i would say go ahead after your burn out. But Mark said it best " it's called an ugly drum smoker for a reason." Here's my beauty:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0835.jpg (57.5 KB, 362 views)

Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the comments. I have washed the inside and there was very minimal light rust spots. The lid is what i am more concerned about because of while cooking would there be any concern of what rust that was there before cleaning it off. Will the seasoning process take care of this and what is the best oil and method for seasoning the drum?
BamaRambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
They dont get more than 300* most of the time thats why you don't have to worrie about the outside paint. A lot of people use regular paint, some guys have stickers on them and those stay. even though the inside is unlined make sure you wash it and see that it rusts. some drums have clear coating on the inside to prevent rust and that makes for foul taste when its cooked use dawn or tide or similar soap to wash it out. If it rusts your good, if not burn it out.
Yup: while I implied that rust is your friend (on the inside), I was not implicit.

As far as the outside, personally, I advocate awarding bonus points for uglyness.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman02 View Post
The drum isn't going to get hot enuff to make the original pain peel under normal usage say 200* to 300*. If you want to paint it i would say go ahead after your burn out. But Mark said it best " it's called an ugly drum smoker for a reason." Here's my beauty:

Right about the temps and the paint,mine still has the original paint on it.
Can't really call mine an Ugly Drum but I'm working on one that is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0785.jpg (63.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0875.jpg (70.6 KB, 318 views)

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote