Looking for advice on equipment

H

hawgdawg

About to take the plunge from my my backyard propane grill to something I can cook shoulders and ribs with using wood/charcoal. Would appreciate anyone reporting their experience with entry level equipment. I need to spend as little as possible but don't want to waste $ on junk. I have been impressed with the BGE that a friend used but seems pricey for the size and difficult to move.

How much do you want to spend?

You can do very well for about $600 or a bit less with a Weber line gasser and a WSM!

OR

Spend the bulk on a Weber gasser and then make a drum for real cheap.

There are quite a few options that you can go with for entry level and most of the people on this site will probably suggest the Webber Smokey Mountain you can get one for around $200 and it is a very good cooker.

I started on a weber grill and then moved my way up to a New Braunfels Bandera, and now I have a Backwoods smoker. I really like the design of the bandera and learned a lot about fire control I also found this site looking for info on the internet.

This group was founded due to a smoker called the Bandera and it may be the smoker for you. I still use mine all the time and does well with the criteria you mentioned. The BSKD is a clone that does quite well too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the WSM and the UDS is mainly a charcoal with chunks smoker, not a wood burner.

I'd recommend a WSM as the ideal starter smoker for someone looking for low maintenance.

If you like experimenting and process, go with an inexpensive Bandera etc..

Moving to even a Bandera or another offset etc. requires a committment to learning all the adjustments, patience and time to do it all when tending. If you just want to get the food done right, with no scratching of your head, then go WSM.

This group was founded due to a smoker called the Bandera and it may be the smoker for you. I still use mine all the time and does well with the criteria you mentioned. The BSKD is a clone that does quite well too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the WSM and the UDS is mainly a charcoal with chunks smoker, not a wood burner.

I guess the next qustion we should ask is do you want something you can set and forget or do you want to play with fire? I scored a Bandera clone and refurbed it and gave it to my dad. They are some sweet stick burners.

Welcome

You have come to the right place

if you check below you will find the UDS show room

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

now I must warn you, although no one is trying to sell you anything ...

the UDS is a gateway to smoking , and once you take that step you will forever be changed ....

The UDS can be a top performing Smoker, Do not mistake the fact that with only:
  • some simple tools ( power tools help but are not required )
  • some rudimentary assembly skills (not much more than needed to assemble your gas grill )
  • Between $20 - $100 (dependent on you ingenuity and scrounging skills)
  • you can build it yourself
The UDS is no junk or poor mans toy.

You will quickly know, if smoking / BBQing is just a passing interest or a growing addiction with out investing more than you might spend on a nice dinner

if it is either of the two, the brethren here will support you on your quest for the Q

There is a high probability that once you assemble your first UDS you will be drawn into what real Q is about and you will spend a lifetime and large sums perfecting it.

all I can offer besides the forgoing disclaimer is that with a decent "rig" that fits your budget and allows you to get smoking / BBQing quickly and well. you will find your balance and may move to more expensive and feature packed rigs - many of the best smokers available have representatives / dealers / users that are regular contributers to this forum.

you can't go wrong with a building a UDS, you may always use it or you just might end up with a monster rig that is the envy of smokers near and far.

Seriously, I'm getting ready to build a UDS with the kind help of some of the Brethren here. I figure even with having to buy some handtools, I'm out maybe 50.00. A UDS can probably be done for 20.00 or less. (if you are good at recycling.)

Used Banderas show up on Craigs list from time to time. Could be your best, low cost bet. Would also be a fun project to clean it up and make it your own with some mods.

There are many entry level smokers that can turn out great Q. As mentioned the Bandera, BSKD, WSM or UDS are all great units. With a few mods the CharGriller with a side fire box is also a great unit.I have had much sucess with mine. I also love my UDS. They are both feeling very neglected right now as I can't quit using my new BGE.:biggrin:

What everyone here says. For my money I would go with the WSM. You cant go wrong with the Bandera or the UDS. It is all dependent upon which way you want to go, set and forget (WSM/UDS) or play with fire (Bandera/Chargriller/Silver Smoker). Either way will lead you on a great and exciting journey.

I'll chime in too.
Personally I would start with a SM. I started with a Brinkman offset and I still use it, but the WSM is far easier to use.
The only reason I say WSM over a UDS is if you decide you don't care to do Q (requires too much time, etc...) you will have no trouble getting rid of the WSM. If you get to that point, you just ship it to me.

Man law?

Hook Line & Sinker stated it perfectly!!!!!
You get the pride of Q'ing on a smoker you built yourself.
You get great Q and once you get the feel for it there minimal stuff to do during the cook, they just do their thing.
You can be cooking for less then $100 easily.
Even if you whole hawg sorta like I did it is still right at $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I say WSM over a UDS is if you decide you don't care to do Q (requires too much time, etc...) you will have no trouble getting rid of the WSM.

The UDS will always double as a trash can or leaf burner. :biggrin:

Keep an eye on Craigslist for a deal on a used Big Green Egg. I now own three (2 large & 1 medium) and paid no more than $300 for any of them. Be patient and one will fall in your lap.

If you are looking at a gasser, then go with the new Weber Genesis. I think they start at around $499 and the really nice stainless version goes for $699. Also, these grills get the best ratings. Probably what I will buy if I can ever catch a break...

Just don't go thinking that you can make real Q without the smoke!

Back