MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Way cool man! Is the bottom of the charcoal basket raised up a bit to let the ash fall out? Otherwise i think the as may choke your fire a little bit. If not, you could cut some xpando to fit in the charcoal basket, to make a false bottom of sorts, a few inches up from the bottom of it.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice build!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #18
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

very cool, nice job
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Great Job !! Looks Fantastic !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Might be tough down the road cleaning grease out of the bottom of that thing.

And .. you can use it as a stick burner if you want!

All in all a great idea and good execution. Please do post how this thing cooks and how the cleaning etc. works out.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #21
tsanchez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Under the basket is 1" high bar grating so there is place for ashes.

I did a turkey sunday and it came out great, only thing I did wrong was I put liquid in the drip pan, when it was done there was more liquid in the pan than I started with and made the skin a little tuff. I think there is plenty of moisture in the can so Ill not add anything next time.

So far the bottom of drum is clean, the drip pan caught everything but I am going to make a plate for the top of fire box that I can cover with foil so its always clean.

I did the burn in with cut hard wood and it was HOT for the cook I just used kingsford cheapstuff it was ok too.

I did notice that the next day there was not many ashes collected, my weber kettle would have tons of it.

One thing I would change is if it didnt have a cart then the tube I used for firebox would not be made of 3/8 wall, thing was 100lbs lol
tsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
tsanchez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So finally got the handle on this thing, had some issues keeping it hot and some bad taste/smoke from it. I think it was creosote from poor burn at the start.
What I did this time was only use half a basket and let it roll for about 1 hr before putting anything on, it was at 500 when I closed the door and put the lid on, very little smoke, blue not white and it did a chicken just beautiful at around 310 degrees without having to mess with it. No foul taste and just moist and tender smokyness.

Cant wait to do some ribs and a brisket.
tsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking setup!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

great welding skills to weld that thick ass steel to... well, thin ass steel and not burn holes...

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Sweet build!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Nice looking UDS!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking smoker, I need to get some welding skills.
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote