help with chuck

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I did a chuck roast on the GOSM today. rubbed night before with Spicewine's heiffer dust. I pulled it at 160 and foiled and added some beef broth to it then back in smoker. I wasnt paying attention to the water pan and it had mostly evaporated causing the temp to spike near the end to almost 300. I pulled it at internal of 200 and coolered for few hours. I was really hoping for "pulled beef", but had to slice. Flavor was great, similar to brisket.

How do i get it to the point where it will pull? more slower cook?
thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like you dried her out there a bit Boatnut....BTW...I never foil a chuck and temps are just a guide line....I check to see how easy the probe will go in and I'll take a fork and tear at it a little to see where its at. On the otherside of this coin, I don't have much experience with water pan cookers but, I'm getting ready to find out how they cook.

I do mine 3hrs per pound at 225* on my WSM. Perfect every time.Pull at the 7 hr mark foil with some beef broth put back in smoker for 2 hrs more . Remove wrap in towel put in ice chest for 1 hr take it out and pull. This is for a 3lb chuck

I usually do 3 lb'ers for 9 hrs or so, foiling after 6. Last ones I did were pretty overdone though. Gonna have to watch a little closer next time.

Mike,
I hate "evaluating" pics, but that looks really "lean and dry".
Not sure why.
The cook profile you listed should have worked fine.
Maybe a little longer to "pull", but really close.

Did that chuck roast have plenty of fat to start with?????
Or was it trimmed heavily???

I do not know what happened to the moisture and tenderness--should have been a lot better.
Try again-- maybe.

TIM

Back