MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
azwildcat
Found some matches.

Default Pulling a double trailer to competitions

I'm thinking about making it easier, and pulling a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer behind my 30 foot fifth wheel, non toy hauler. Right now I put all my supplies/smokers in a bumper hitch basket, the rear truck bed, and the storage compartments of the fifth wheel. Other than the obvious pitfalls, ie highway laws, mechanical issues, and not backing up, is it just more trouble than what its worth? Does anybody have, or has had, a similar setup that would be able to provide some insight? The 5th wheel is made for having a pull behind 2nd trailer, and the truck is more than capable of the weight. Thanks!
azwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

The Pig Pals used to run such a rig. You could contact Lee McWright and get his impressions first hand.

I don't know what contest sites are like in Arizona, but here in the South the layouts tend to be congested and it's a tight squeeze just getting a single large trailer in. I would think that maneuvering a tandem rig into such an area would be somewhere between difficult and impossible at many contests in these parts.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

I have done it with a 20' travel trailer (not 5th wheel) and a 17' fishing boat.
A 5th wheel makes it easier (less tenancy for sway) a 5x8 should be no big deal.
I believe the OAL of the rig can not exceed 63' total (that is WI) I know in the south semi's pull triple 48' trailers (CDL licensed though).
Just make sure the smaller trailer is loaded correctly (front weighted)
Check your OAL and go for it. Backing up can be an issue if you can't see the smaller trailer but it can be done for short distances (typically straight) if you get into trouble.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

It is a state by state legality question...

The last I heard, New Mexico did not allow a double trailer setup...

Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

We pull a Lang 84 behind a 30' 5th wheel. I now use a rear view camera to keep an eye on the tires since I can't see it except when turning. I made a jambo style dolly for it so setup is easy. You just unhook the smoker into the dolly and move it out of the way and get the camper parked. I used this setup from SD to KC, MO without trouble. There's a good list of state by state trailering laws out there someplace.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
I have done it with a 20' travel trailer (not 5th wheel) and a 17' fishing boat.
A 5th wheel makes it easier (less tenancy for sway) a 5x8 should be no big deal.
I believe the OAL of the rig can not exceed 63' total (that is WI) I know in the south semi's pull triple 48' trailers (CDL licensed though).
Just make sure the smaller trailer is loaded correctly (front weighted)
Check your OAL and go for it. Backing up can be an issue if you can't see the smaller trailer but it can be done for short distances (typically straight) if you get into trouble.
triple 48"'s???

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote