building the proper fire BGE

B

bmmat

OK so what R U guys doing in the fire box, a pile of lump in the middle or using the whole fire box, I think I'm going to change to wood chunks for smoke after the other comments I had and mix it in. I think the water pan will work in keeping the heat down, what do you think?

bmmat, it really depends on what you're cooking. For shorter cooks, a chimney full will get the job done. If you're doing a 20 hour pork butt smoke, you'll want to fill up the firebox. And there is no need for a water pan, the egg is not a water smoker and it needs no assistance in keeping the heat down. If you're trying to hold a low temp, establlish a small fire and keep the damper door nearly shut, that will get you in the neighborhood of 200 degrees indefinitely. For a dome temp of 225, the door is perhaps 1/8 inch open. Keep the dfmt on top also cracked only slightly open. With a little time & practice it's pretty easy, good luck

Also, as for where the lump is, not sure it really matters. The shape of the fire box doesn't allow for too much along the lines of zone cooking (like a kettle does easily). Just dump the lump in & where ever it lands will work fine

Yep Zippy hit it right on the button. I also mix in chunks and chips to make sure i get smoke all through the cook.

Lately I've just been filling up the box and using one of these. I don't really pay much attention to how much I put in if it is going to be for a quick cook because you can always shut the lid and snuff out the fire. If I'm grilling I just use the this starter and when I have a few hot coals in the middle I'll stir it up and let it run. If I'm doing a low and slow then once I have a few hot coals I just adjust the vents. BGE makes one specifically for the egg but this guy is sold at our local big box and so far has worked like a charm. The one made by bge does have a nice angle built in to accommodate the shape of the egg but is about $10.00 more.

31ZHNRGA5RL._SS500_.jpg

Dump in your lump... light it in a few spots with a MAPP torch and you are good to go.
Add in several lumps of wood on top and mixed through the lump for good smoke results.
Use the whole fire box... the great thing about the egg is that when you are done cooking, shut the vents, and the next time you cook, you already have a partial load of charcoal waiting from the last cook.

I used to go with MAPP, still do on occasion, but I have moved up to the weed burner...coals are going, grill is ready, in under 2 minutes.

Lots of opinions on how to "build" the fire. Some sort the lump into small, medium, & large pieces and take great pains in building the fire.

Me? I'm in the "dump it & light it" crowd. As stated above, I work with the egg full of lump most of the time. Reuse is one of the great things about lump charcoal.

Skip the water pan, get a plate setter, and you should be good to go.

Cheers,
Braddog

You want to build your fire. Put large pieces of Lump in the bottom. I do so till the air holes are covered. This allows for good air flow ands helps to prevent the holes being covered with ash. Next put in medium chunks of lump and len thwe smaller pieces. This allows the Egg to cook a long time. Normally I am able to re use the larger pieces at the bottom more than once For lighting it I either use webber starters or a rolled up paper towel with oloive/veg oil on it. A map torch will work great too. I try to lite mine 3-6-9-12- like the clock

I generally dump the lump in up to the top. I then use my weed burner until the middle is really going. I then shut the lid and wait for it to get to temperature. When I'm done, I just shut the vents and use what's left for next time. Cheers and good luck.

I used to sort the lump and build a nice stack in the Egg until my wife asked if that really made a difference. Come to find out it didn't. I dump the lump to the fire ring and break a couple fire starters in half and light it in 3 locations. Done. The electric starter shown above works real well but I hate having to go grab an extension cord.

I always use a full load of lump, just dump it in and light the center with a weed burner. Quick and easy!!

wow all great advice, the problem I have been having is holding temp. for the first few hrs it is great spot on.. then it slowly creeps up past 300 and I have the bottom dampener just about closed, yes I want to cook low and slow just need help controlling temp

Bottom vent just about closed is right. Top vent closed to the point that only the "petals" on the daisy wheel are open, sometimes even a little less.

You're not peeking are you? If you keep peeking or lifting the lid to baste, etc. that's sometimes all it takes to get more oxygen to the fire and the temp climbing.

Remember, "if you're looking', you ain't cookin' "

Cheers,
Braddog

top vent is 8th of an inch, I don cheat a Little I open it now and then to check meat temp

Back