MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default pre trimming chicken

Can you pre trim chicken for a comp? I am sick of doing it on sight.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

yes you can !.. I pre-trim mine every chance i get.. it's a lot less to worry about on friday.

keep your chicken in a separate cooler too. Some meat inspectors like to see it that way.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you can in KCBS
I know you can in FBA
Keep original package lables and do not put any seasoning or juice on it....
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, you can trim meat before a contest. But make sure you have a receipt proving you bought it from a store. The reps may ask for it.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
Yes, you can trim meat before a contest. But make sure you have a receipt proving you bought it from a store. The reps may ask for it.
I've never had a rep ask me for a receipt, but it doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. but i wonder what the sense is of asking for it ? There's nothing in the KCBS rules that says you need proof of buying the meat in a store or something. Hopefully a rep. or board member can shed some light on this receipt issue.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

There's nothing in the rules about keeping chicken in a separate cooler either.

Our meat check-in must be pretty lax in this region. I rarely have to take meat out of the cooler and occassionally, do not even have to open the cooler. I wish we could have teams check each other in. We would do a better job of it and I would have to suffer the nuisance of waiting around before prepping.

When possible, try and trim all of your meat at home. You get the benefit of full kitchen facilities for trimming and more socializing at the contest.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I've never had a rep ask me for a receipt, but it doesn't mean it won't happen sometime. but i wonder what the sense is of asking for it ? There's nothing in the KCBS rules that says you need proof of buying the meat in a store or something. Hopefully a rep. or board member can shed some light on this receipt issue.
I had not either until this year, at the St. Joesph, Mo contest. We had trimmed our chicken & brisket before hand and had them in vac-u-seal bags & they asked us to prove that we had bought them from a store. Luckily we had our Sam's receipt.

You just never know what will happen from contest to contest.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
I had not either until this year, at the St. Joesph, Mo contest. We had trimmed our chicken & brisket before hand and had them in vac-u-seal bags & they asked us to prove that we had bought them from a store. Luckily we had our Sam's receipt.

You just never know what will happen from contest to contest.
Could you imagine if you were Amish, and had raised your own chickens, pigs, and cows, and provided your own meat ? You'd be screwed if the rep asked for a receipt !!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
There's nothing in the rules about keeping chicken in a separate cooler either.
you're right, there's not... but some meat inspectors like to say it's the local health dept.'s rule or something similar. I just pack it in a separate cooler to keep from having this argument.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would contact the rep right away. If they were not available, I would have someone from the KCBS Board on the phone immediately if someone said I needed a receipt, original packaging or have to have my chicken in a separate cooler. As there is no rule for those and good luck enforcing it.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Could you imagine if you were Amish, and had raised your own chickens, pigs, and cows, and provided your own meat ? You'd be screwed if the rep asked for a receipt !!
Podge that is funny!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Since when do you have to be Amish to raise your own critters?I help a friend raise steers,and I am finally getting to try some brisket from an animal that I have seen raised from a couple days old to slaughter.The steers are butchered with a USDA inspector present.We see a lot of these animals go to friends and coworkers and several have talked with me about cooking briskets for them.I usually do a deal where they bring me 2 and they get one back and I get the other for cooking 1 for them.My quesion is these animals are butchered with a USDA inspector present and there is nothing in the rules that says you cant use them why not do it?Looking like I will get 5-7 briskets for myself out of this deal next spring.Our animals are pen raised with no growth hormones.It will be an interesting experiment.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Default Raising??

I have 4 animals...my wife calls them children but I am not sure...especiall the oldest he eats like a pig and would rather lay in mud than duds...animals...gees they might be cleaner

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

We always pre-trim chicken. It is very convenient.

Usually, I do it while having a giant Jack and Diet. <grin> The dishwasher is real handy for the slimy, plastic cutting board.

I have been asked to open the ziplock bag so the rep can smell the chicken. Have never been asked to prove the purchase. What the fark is difference if it was bought? If somebody pre-seasoned, that would be obvious at the inspection. (Besides, chicken takes on marinade fairly quickly. Who would want to marinade or season longer than overnight at a contest?)

I buy chicken from a local farm. They don't have fancy labels. You pay by the pound. From now on, I'll keep the receipt just for insurance.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
Black Cat BBQ
On the road to being a farker

After reading about pre trimming here before I figured I would do this for Dover. My brother convinced me to email and ask about this just incase... Fred's exact words were "Meat original package"

So if you trim do you stick the original package in the vacu seal/ziplock bag with it????
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote