MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
LDOJYD
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone with Killer Pinto Bean Recipe

Big Q tomorrow and I am doing Briskets and Pigsickles. I have been requested to make Pinto beans. Anyone got a killer recipe I can throw on these folks. I looked in the Brethren locker and that one I can out do. I am lloking to do something different than what I do...
Cajun Turkey Frying Fool
LDOJYD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Ah yes--my specialty.

I use beef broth instead of water.
Lots, and lots, and lots of left over brisket, rib tips, ham, or whatever is in the freezer. Easily as much meat as beans.
I add finely diced bell peppers--green, red, and yellow for flavor and color. About 1/2 a pepper or so of each for 1 lb of beans.
I use finely chopped onions at the beginning for flavor and some larger slices one hour from the end for "texture".
I add a can of tomatoes, or a chopped up tomato and a can of tomato paste the last hour.

A little garlic sauce and spices to taste. I use 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 the last hour to layer the flavors.

Lots of fun and flexibility.

Good Luck.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Tim's recipe sounds great....here's another....

Bigwheel's Top Secret Prize Winning Pintos

2 lbs washed pintos
1/3 lb salt pork..or few strips bacon..or pork hock
1 onion
2 split and seeded japs or serrano peppers
3-4 garlic cloves
1 T. dry mustard
1 T. wooster sauce
3 T. chili powder (Try mix and match Ancho, Gebhardts, Chimayo, etc)
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes with Habs
salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with 2" of water and soak 1 hr. Drain and refill to same level. Add the salt pork and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and put on the lid. Simmer till nearly done but not quite then add the other stuff and cook another 20-30 mins. Once you add the tomatoes they dont tender up any more. Add water anywhere along the way if they get too dry. Veggies can be chopped..purreed or floated depending if your comp cooking or eating at home. If you feeding wimmen, chillin, or yankees you can use only half a can of the maters. If you want them smokey..stick them in the smoke in the coolest part of the pit with the lid off for at least a coupla hours.
Bigwheel

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
LDOJYD

Thanks both do sound very good. One problem with Tim's recipe.....I never ever have any bits and peices left..These folks down here near the MX boarder are carnivorous as hell and leave no scraps to be used for future flavoring. Bob
Cajun Turkey Frying Fool

Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

For me, simplicity is the key:

Start by browning 1 lb. of bacon cut into bite size pieces. Add a whole large onion diced. Cook until clear and add a whole garlic, diced. Cook until onions are carmelized. Add this marvelous trinity to a pot of pintos that you soaked all night. Most of the time I will start to precook the beans in beer for an hour or two. I also add a pint of green chilies at this point. Season with a layer of fresh ground black pepper. Add salt or other spices to taste. Simmer this all day long and enjoy. For extra good beans, place in a vertical smoker below a butt or a brisket. Yumms.

Now wait for Kevin to reply. He loves to cook beans too.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
For me, simplicity is the key:

Start by browning 1 lb. of bacon cut into bite size pieces. Add a whole large onion diced. Cook until clear and add a whole garlic, diced. Cook until onions are carmelized. Add this marvelous trinity to a pot of pintos that you soaked all night. Most of the time I will start to precook the beans in beer for an hour or two. I also add a pint of green chilies at this point. Season with a layer of fresh ground black pepper. Add salt or other spices to taste. Simmer this all day long and enjoy. For extra good beans, place in a vertical smoker below a butt or a brisket. Yumms.
a whole head of garlic, or a clove?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
LDOJYD

Another tasty one... I got to do 6 pounds....Feed about 60 people!. Goona be a busy afternoon. Thanks again
Cajun Turkey Frying Fool

Old 04-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
a whole head of garlic, or a clove?
I said the whole farkin' head bro!! Me likes the garlic and never had a complaint from anyone eating my beans. Danm sure keeps the werewolves away.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
Jorge

I'm lazy.

I use one slice of bacon per lb. of beans, sliced to about 1" in length. One tomatoe per lb. of beans, chopped (prefer roma if they are ripe). 1/3 choppend yellow/spanish onion per lb. Seasoning is 1/3-1/2 TBS. garlic powder per lb. and about the same for paprika. Add water to cover by 1". Add 1 cheap beer.

Everything goes in a crockpot and cooks on low approx. 18 hrs. Towards the end of the cook I'll adjust seasoning to taste (this is when I add the salt). When the beans are done, and cooling I'll chop 1 Cup of cilantro and mix it in. Feel free to add a little cumin for a little Tex-Mex flavor. During the last hour you can also toss in a few chipotle peppers if you like for a little more complex flavor.

I usually use a large slow cooker and do 3 lbs. at a time, and freeze leftovers. They keep VERY well and are handy to be able to pull out of the freezer for a side, or as an entree with cornbread.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
I said the whole farkin' head bro!! Me likes the garlic and never had a complaint from anyone eating my beans. Danm sure keeps the werewolves away.
I like it. It's been copied to the PDA for the to-do list.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Beans

If you can find it you must try Fiesta brand bean spice it is the bomb,and I've also put a bottle of white wine in the mix........really good
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

MMMMMMMMM, Beans,

I've copied and saved all of the ones posted so far. I like beans.

Here's my lazy method. Crock pot.

1 lb. dried pinto beans
1 medium onion chopped
5 cloves garlic minced
1 bay leaf
chicken stock (about 6 cups to start)
Any left over smoked meat I've got in the freezer. I've been making a lot of sausage lately leaving meaty pork bones. I save these in a bag in the freezer until the pit gets fired up. Thaw the bones out and smoke them for bean flavoring.

Seasonings:
1 fresh Jalapeno finely chopped
1 Tablespoon ground de arbol chili
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds fresh toasted then ground
Couple of twists of fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Wash and sort beans. Put in crock pot with the smoked pork bones or whatever else you choose and add chicken stock to cover, onions, garlic and bay leaf.
Cook until beans are tender but not mush. Add chicken stock or water as needed to keep beans covered.

When beans are tender add the seasonings and cook another few hours.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
thirdeye

Every recipe sounds pretty tasty so far, but here's one more for this bean thread.

3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I will add my quick and easy beans a la charra.

1 gallon bush's pintos.
2 cans rotel
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic(more or less)
1/4 lb of salt pork or bacon.
1 bag of pork rinds
1 small can of pickled sliced jalapeños

Fry up the salt pork. Dice the onion and add to the salt pork cook over medium heat until clear. Add garlic. Let simmer a few minutes.

Add the beans, rotel, japs and the pork rinds. Bring to a boil, turn to low and let simmer for an hour or 2.

Salt and pepper to taste. Add any brisket/pork trimmings that you might have. You can lessen the heat somewhat by draining the japs first.

Last edited by jgh1204; 04-13-2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: typo
jgh1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
I will add my quick and easy beans a la charra.

1 gallon bush's pintos.
2 cans rotel
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic(more or less)
1/4 lb of salt pork or bacon.
1 bag of pork rinds
1 small can of pickled sliced jalapeños

Fry of the salt pork. Dice the onion and add to the salt pork cook over medium heat until clear. Add garlic. Let simmer a few minutes.

Add the beans, rotel, japs and the pork rinds. Bring to a boil, turn to low and let simmer for an hour or 2.

Salt and pepper to taste. Add any brisket/pork trimmings that you might have. You can lessen the heat somewhat by draining the japs first.
The pork rinds sound like a nice touch. Are they for flavor or thickening, or both? I make a similar dish with canned beans only using my favorite Texas beans.

You can get them with jalapeno's too. One thing I do different is add beer and cook down some.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote