MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Smile 19th Q: Yet Another Pre-Separated Brisket On White Oak [w/ pron]

Yes, I know, totally obsessed with producing the perfect brisket, but we just love the beef.

As we don't really have any choice selecting the perfect cut of "breast core of young Austrian bull", like you have over there (that thing with "Prime" or "Choice" packer or whatever; we can just choose on different weights from about 2 to 13 lbs), there will never be a perfect jiggling Austrian brisket (point yes, flat no).

So here is my next try with 9.61 lbs of beef

Trimmed and separated flat and point (that small piece in the upper right corner became the cook's treat)

My last 5 pieces of white oak on natural lemon tree lump

Brisket rubbed with just Sal Marina Natural + Black & White Pepper + Light Brown Sugar

Ready for foiling after about 4 hours and IT 165°F with some Worcestershire Water (50:50)

Ready after hitting IT 203°F and resting for several hours in the oven at 200°F

I swear I saw the point jiggle, the flat not so much. This pretty much is the best I can do with the kind of meat we have available here.

Hungry now?

Guess what I'll have for dinner today, it starts with self-made rye bread and a layer of our "Essence of Q" sauce and ends with a huge pile of thin sliced beef on top! Pr0n to follow.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

nice
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

very nice mike! Brisket looks killer

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Austria is a long way to go for a brisket sandwich but with chow like that it would be worth the trip

Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
bbq'n
Found some matches.

Nice Smoke Ring!
bbq'n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I would hit that
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
mykeystoy
Full Fledged Farker

That looks nice. I would hit that.
mykeystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq'n View Post
Nice Smoke Ring!
Yes, white oak produces a really nice smoke ring, and it nevertheless comes really smooth in flavor. Too bad that the little oak I had is gone now. It was from a really old large tree nearby they chopped down earlier this year, and I only was able to get a very small piece from it.

As I want to save twinsfan's mesquite as long as possible, and my apple wood is just too mild on beef, I'll try beech next (I just got two small chunks from a neighbor a few days ago).

But right now I am working on an apple cobbler, which is to be served with self-made vanilla ice cream (made of extremely precious Tahitian vanilla) for dinner. The self made rye is also in the works, but I don't know if it is going to make it till dinner time. So more pr0n to follow soon.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

So the thin sliced beef on self-made fresh rye bread had to be postponed to tomorrow noon, because of this Apple Cinnamon Cobbler with self-made Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream:

This was no dessert, but a full fledged dinner replacement.

BTW My wife is in the opinion, that the cobbler is way too sweet, whereas I think it has to be real sweet to be a cobbler. My wife also thinks the beef is too hot due to the peppers in the rub, but I just can't lower the amount of peppers if the rub only consists of salt and pepper. Opinions?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

mmmmmmm....hungry!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
landarc

Nicely done, but, you will get better and better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Very nice!

I don't know if you can get Olive wood over there, but I have used it a couple of times, and I thought it was a lot like oak.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I don't know if you can get Olive wood over there, but I have used it a couple of times, and I thought it was a lot like oak.
They sell olive wood in small boxes here at a local wholesale supermarket, but it's not cheep. I still hope I find another oak opportunity nearby. Next up is beech, I still have some mesquite from twinsfan's bag left, and some other woods I first have to cut in small pieces to accelerate seasoning.

This cook was pretty much perfect procedure wise, I could not tell what to improve. The only obstacle is temperature control.

My cooking area is on the lowest deck of our hillside estate, and it's not only sunshine that influences the temperature profile, but wind as well.

Once I have put about 10 pieces of lit lump on top, and the grate temp reaches about 250°F, I put the meat on and close all three intakes to about 1/8 to maintain pretty steady 235-270°F. It may be the characteristics of my lemon tree lump, but over time temp rises to about 300°F, and after foiling about 4 hours in I get an overshoot up to about 350°F (especially when a lot of fresh air comes in when I put the potatoes through the front door onto the lower grate). I do not start to fiddle around with the intakes any more, just let it do it's thing, but this is where an iQ 110 would come in handy, and that's why it is still on my shopping list (but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to check and control the temp controller over the net, especially because it is quite cumbersome to get from my home office in the 2nd floor to the cooking area).

Am I babbling? Maybe, but it can't be the hunger talking again since it's just short after 9 a.m. right now, and all I can think of is the thin sliced beef on rye bread waiting for me at lunch. Is it noon yet?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

Great looking briskie.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

So here we are, lunch the day after.

Thin sliced point

Self-made rye bread

Our "Essence of Q" sauce on rye

Resulting in this beef sandwich it is all about

It may not look that fantastic, but this was SOOO delicious! I can still feel the distinct hotness of the peppers from the rub on my tongue right now!

If anybody is wondering why there was so little meat in that sandwich, I am keeping a strict diet during the week to be able to feast on the weekends without gaining weight!

So that's it for that cook. Now I am wondering what will be on next weekend, there is no special offer this week that met my eye, we are still on the beef trip, and although I should practice on poultry my wife can not be enthused.