MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #6451
PaulG78
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!
Stainless steel zip ties, copper wire, steel coat hanger, that's all I got right now.
PaulG78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #6452
pyroskier
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default SoCal Drum Source

I am still looking for a drum out in Ventura County. Anyone have a specific lead? I am still looking at Craigslist, ebay, and calling some engine shops but so far not yet.

Also, here are some good leads closer to Los Angeles if it helps anyone.

http://www.ditty.com/contact.htm

http://www.iconserv.com/company/location.html
pyroskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #6453
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I was thinking "gotta get some expanded metal for my charcoal bucket" then I thought "Why not use the one from my 18.5" WSM?"

Has anyone tried that? If full of briq wonder how long it will burn?

Comments??
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #6454
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!
I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #6455
codger
Full Fledged Farker

I've just finished page242, but couldn't wait any longer to post something. I've never seen this big of a group that have had the success of sticking to the ideals they started up with. Long before now most would have had at least a group of them try to make it "All about Me!" I want to add my thanks to all of you for making it possible for people to see what's so accessible to us. I
can't wait till I can get my drum and start. It's coming just have to wait abit. One thing about that is I'll read the rest of this in the meantime.
codger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #6456
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

The breathren are all GREAT and have a vast amount of knowledge!
With the UDS remember the K.I.S.S. And welcome aboard, codger!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #6457
BWJ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : B

Well I just aquired a new 30 gallon unlined drum. Gonna make UDS #2. I am thinking on this one I would like to try a BGE draft door. From what I have read it seem most are using the medium/large size door and only need it cracked open. Has anybody used the small/mini sized door? I figured I would use the smaller one being its a smaller drum. Now I just need to find a doner 18.5" kettle for the lid.
BWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #6458
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great
Jay... any chance of posting a pic or two of what you did? Would love to see how you did it.
Tks!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #6459
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

I just used 1-inch hardware cloth to make the walls for my charcoal basket. Works great, easy to use, cheap, and it really torques some folks when they realize it is **gasp!!** galvanized. I don't figure there is enough galvanizing in the amount used to be an issue.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #6460
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Although I didn't use the easiest method to build my basket, the video I made (see my signature) may provide some pointers on basket construction (on what to do AND what not to do! LOL)

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #6461
henno
Found some matches.

I have given this thread a good go but I just can't do it guys. I got through the first twenty or so pages and then another 40 or so in the middle but think I now have enough to put together my first UDS.

A question I have not seen asked though is about the dreaded red lining on food grade drums, which yes, I unfortunately acquired. Has anybody considered using paint stripper to remove this instead of all the manual labour of grinding and sanding. I am on a 4 acre property so doing a big burn is not a problem but was wondering what would be wrong with paint stripper to do the bits the burn doesn't get out?

I have read the entire thread by norecore and his redneck UDS and will do a very close copy of his design.

Thanks in advance guys
Henno from Aus

Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #6462
motherlu
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-rich View Post
I was thinking "gotta get some expanded metal for my charcoal bucket" then I thought "Why not use the one from my 18.5" WSM?"

Has anyone tried that? If full of briq wonder how long it will burn?

Comments??
That's what I did. Fastened the Charcoal ring from a 18.5" WSM to the charcoal grate from a 22.5" Ketttle with U-bolts. The 3 inch U-bolts also act as the legs. I actually used 2 charcoal grates together with the grids running the opposite way on each in order to keep less of the charcoal from falling through. Just did a test burn and it worked out great. A level filled charcoal ring of Kingsford burned at 350 for 1 hour and then fell to 225+/- for the next 15 hours until we just decided to kill it. There was still charcoal left.
motherlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #6463
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWJ View Post
Well I just aquired a new 30 gallon unlined drum. Gonna make UDS #2. I am thinking on this one I would like to try a BGE draft door. From what I have read it seem most are using the medium/large size door and only need it cracked open. Has anybody used the small/mini sized door? I figured I would use the smaller one being its a smaller drum. Now I just need to find a doner 18.5" kettle for the lid.
Smaller one would probably work fine...

Here is a look see at mine...sorry brethern couldn't resist.....

This is also showing my mod for the ROL (rib-o-lator) and Auspit spit. The spacer ring is also SS.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #6464
stglide

Anybody tell me where I can find SS wire? Didn't see it at Lowe's, I stopped by an ACE this weekend, and they didn't have it. Just curious if there was a good source for it out there...

Tks!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #6465
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I went to HD and bought annealed steel rebar wire - should do the job and its cheap
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker