MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post
I was at the Myrtle Beach Contest last year. The location is a great venue to have a contest but that was quickly marred by how poorly it was run by both the reps and the organizers. From talking with several other teams that were there, even if KCBS sanctions the contest, no one is returning. If you dare to enter you have been forewarned. There are much better ways of spending your Labor Day weekend in Myrtle Beach. Skip the contest; hit the beach, take in a show, or do some shopping at the outlets.
I agree with all of this, but for some reason I still signed up...I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Its just too hard to pass up the only contest that is within an hour of home. I really wish they would get it together, its a great venue, and a could be a great contest with a little organization.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Who sanctions this contest? Only MB contest I can find is sanctioned by SBN.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
It may be that it hasn't been re-sanctioned by KCBS, but I'm pretty sure last year it was dual sanctioned by KCBS and SBN.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
As cpw said, they were duel sanctioned last year. Their website is advertising it as the same thing this year, but from this thread it sounds like KCBS hasn't completely signed off just yet.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

From the June 2013 BOD Meeting Quick Notes:
Mike Peters
I make the motion to pay Roger Wise of KCBS team Pickin Porkers $400 for their contest win (2nd place brisket) at the Smoke on the Beach contest held in Myrtle Beach, SC on August 31, 2012.
Don Harwell second
9 aye, 1 no (Shupe) Motion passed

I make the motion to not sanction the 2013 Smoke on the Beach contest to be held in Myrtle Beach, SC on August 31 (which is being promoted on their website as a KCBS sanctioned event) until the $400 is reimbursed to KCBS.

Dave Compton Second
9 aye, 1 no (Shupe), motion passed
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Who is Shupe?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
bbqbrad
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Who is Shupe?
Last year's KCBS rep to this contest...When the problems happened...
hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
From the June 2013 BOD Meeting Quick Notes:
Mike Peters
I make the motion to pay Roger Wise of KCBS team Pickin Porkers $400 for their contest win (2nd place brisket) at the Smoke on the Beach contest held in Myrtle Beach, SC on August 31, 2012.
Don Harwell second
9 aye, 1 no (Shupe) Motion passed

I make the motion to not sanction the 2013 Smoke on the Beach contest to be held in Myrtle Beach, SC on August 31 (which is being promoted on their website as a KCBS sanctioned event) until the $400 is reimbursed to KCBS.

Dave Compton Second
9 aye, 1 no (Shupe), motion passed
This could get interesting. They are certainly advertising it as a KCBS event, http://www.smokeonthebeach.com/sotb-bbb.html, as well as one of the events participating in the Smithfield series, which it doesn't appear to be part of either. I wonder what if anything KCBS will do about this. My check was written under the assumption that this was a KCBS event. Is there any recourse that KCBS can take if they run the event just like a KCBS event, but without the actual sanctioning?

Again, I am doing it just because its the closest thing to a local contest that we have, and its a pretty fun weekend(plus this will be my first night away from the house since the baby was born, and I'm not missing that opportunity :)) It does make me a little nervous though that they have cashed my check, and their website seems to be pretty bogus. Is anyone else planning to attend?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Wrench.
IMHO, ask for your money back and soon. I was there last year, it was a very poorly run contest by the organizers or the reps alike; don't see it changing. (Search Myrtle Beach for some of the things that happen).
I will add, it is one of the best venues to have a contest.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #25
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

FYI - all mention of KCBS has been dropped from the event website now.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually, the last bod meeting indicated that they had fulfilled their requirement and it was now on for those who want to attend.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #27
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Actually, there is still nothing on the event website to indicate it will be a KCBS event as of 7/18/13 at 6AM.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

It is not a KCBS sanctioned event. I hate that! Organizer's choice.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Bummer, was looking forward to cooking it in 2014..maybe by them it will have shaped up or be gone.

What were some specific issues?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

For the last several years it has been a KCBS and SBN combined contest.
This year it appears to be a non-sanctioned event.
Got a letter today with an application (competed in the contest last year).
Entry fee is $100 and includes the meat which the team will prepare for the judging and serving to the public from 12-5pm on Saturday August 31. Guessing they will be giving teams several cases of pork butts simular to last year. (our team had no idea they were doing this and no way to cook several case of butts they brought by, we had to decline.)
They advertise paying 1-10th places.
1st is $10,000, 2nd is 3,000, 3rd is $2,000, ....... with a total purse over $20,000.
Applications on their website, Beach boogie and BBQ, Myrtle Beach, SC.
http://www.smokeonthebeach.com/sotb-bbb.html
It you enter good luck. I will not be there.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote