• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

Lol, Then get the wifey a darn pizza oven... Im planning on getting in there and breaking it, cutting and breaking it out. If that doesn't work ill have to burn it.

If you are able to get the form out without a fire, it will give you an opportunity to touch up any interior grout...
**AND**
Keep in mind, your first fires should be VERY small, growing larger over time.
I cured my dome (before insulating it) over the course of a week, after appx. 10 days from the final keystone (we had a nice stretch of warm dry weather).
I know curing is somewhat more forgiving if using thermal blankets for insulation vs pearlite concrete I used.
That was another curing process before the first render was applied..
The cool part is that we did begin using it once the insulation was fairly well cured.
Get your recipes ready!!:mrgreen:

Thanks man, since fires are very inconsistent im thinkig of other ways to dry out the oven. So far im planning on using a dehumidifier with a enclosed shell around the oven. Well see

I also plan on only using ceramic fiber blankets, no v-crete

I wouldn't have taken back the curing fires, they were very rewarding.
It was my time to marvel at the handiwork and a perfect excuse to sit back with some fine beverages tending the delicate fires...:wink:

Our dome is slowly rising. It was a pain in the rear cutting and trying to taper the bricks, id have to say it was hard than i had thought, figuring out the cut per brick per row was very tedious and aggravating. However we managed to move on.

izmaf7.jpg

344z1a8.jpg

f263qe.jpg

a0cb9.jpg

2gtpwzo.jpg

This morning i woke up and looked out my bedroom window. Excited how the oven is coming along and at the same time disappointed at how messy the backyard is. Ahhh so much work left to do.

8vrl6p.jpg

Thanks man :). We actually finished the dome today, now onto the chimney we must start.

Here are some pictures of the dome plugged and complete. Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.

123v53d.jpg

30b321k.jpg

That dome is looking good! Interesting that you at one point started to spiral up the courses to the dome top?

In the home stretch!!:thumb:
Figured we would get a beverage photo once the final keystone was in? I think I downed a 18pk...:laugh:

That dome is looking good! Interesting that you at one point started to spiral up the courses to the dome top?

Thanks, because the dome was slowly turning into a tear drop i had to slowly round it out as we went up the courses, so i had to add a keystone to one of the courses, therefore it turned into a spiral.

Here is some work from the past weekend. Removing the form was pretty easy using just a drill bit, a large one. Made a few holes and broke the bottom half and it was out. The hardest part was working on the inside, its not fun... Id have to admit my oven build is no where near what some of the guys have built, definitely not the cleanest, but im content with it.

2qi30us.jpg

2nsu9v6.jpg

izrn2t.jpg

2rylx95.jpg

Looking good!!
It is interesting how much mortar you "think" got between each brick, until you actually look at it from the inside...
Was glad to see you opted not to burn out the form.
Looks like your "Grouting" finished it off nicely.:thumb:

Thanks guys. Getting in there to clean and fill in the gaps was a royal PITA. My neck was beyond sore the next morning. Im just glad its all done. I need to work on the chimney next.

I've never done anything like that, but to me it looks like your finish grouting sealed it up and made it look really nice. IMHO you should be proud of the product!

Back