Wifey said post this - chicken

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Tried all kinds of searches here and google trying to see how to remove the blood vein from a chicken thigh. Really would like some help here from my bothers/and sisters. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks all.

I could tell ya...

But I'm not gonna...

I'm still mad about the fattie...

j/k Wish I knew how to do it so I could tell ya, but I don't...

GreasePig, LOL a bunch. I was wrong but I have paid my dues. Tell me about the blood vein thingy.

We now return you to scheduled programming...

Good luck on the Chicken Vein thing... I hate those ;)

PS: I really don't know how to get rid of those darn things or I would tell ya!

Last edited:
GreasePig, no biggie but that is referred as "hijacking a thread" If you change the subject of the original post, it is customary to start a new thread, No big deal brother, just trying to be helpful.
You are close so would be great to hook up and BS about how good our Q is. After all, we are neighbors!

GreasePig, no biggie but that is referred as "hijacking a thread" If you change the subject of the original post, it is customary to start a new thread, No big deal brother, just trying to be helpful.
You are close so would be great to hook up and BS about how good our Q is. After all, we are neighbors!

I Googled it too. If Google never heard of "removing the blood vein from a chicken thigh" you are out of luck. I've never heard of such a thing personally.

i pull it out when its on my plate and i take the chicken apart. as far as i know, no one takes it out.

I would try buying a kosher chicken if they have them in your area. The ritual salting and hanging used in kashering a chicken actually is designed to draw all the blood from the bird. So a kosher bird won't actually have the vein removed but it should reduce the appearance and size of the vein.
I may be a mensch but I am just a goy.

The only way that I know of is to de-bone the thigh and you can usually see it then.

When I trim chicken thighs for a comp I remove the veins. After I trim off the 'gonad' I expose the bone a little and you can see the vein. With a paper towel I grab the vein and pull.

I have to admit, I deal with it by only eating white meat.
shiner.gif

i eventually find it with needle nose pliers and bamboo wood chop sticks.
the easier method...buy the kosher chicken.
OR...the natural chicken has less garbage in the meat anyway @ 3.99 lb

I tried the google thing as well with no luck. Was watching a youtube chicken judging video and one judge scored the chicken way down because of the blood vein not being removed. The table captain asked her about it and her response was when she was growing up her mom always removed it. She thought everyone did it and judged down because the cook left it in. Never heard of that before. Just curious what the brethren thought. Thanks everyone.

What DivaHerself said stay with the white meat. I'm a breast man myself.:wink:

I would think Lakeside has it right, you just have to work back the meat until you see the vein and give it a yank. A pair of surgical clamp hemostats would make it easier.

Eating chicken for 60 some years and never heard any thing about that, where I came from if you had food in front of you, you just ate it. Used to watch grandmaw chop off their heads, pluck'em, cook'em and eat'em, nothing better than her fried chicken on her wood fired kitchen stove in a big cast iron skillet. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back