MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
TheBBQJew
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew
Default Montreal Smoked Meat @ Schwartz’s

I was up in Montreal the other day and decided to stop in at Schwartz’s and try the smoked meat. I’m from New York City and pastrami is perfection. I never tried smokedmeat before and want to give it a try. Scwartz’s makes their smoked meat form the brisket cut. Knowing this I ordered the med-fat hoping to get some point meat in there. I got mostly cuts off the flat with a slice or 2 off the point.

The sammich came to the table and what a wonderful smell! Some say that only a few places still smoke there meats and Schwartz’s is definetly one of them. First impression was more of a smoked brisket than pastrami. NY pastrami is historically wet cured while Schwartz’s dry cures. Maybe that is the reason? Smokier than pastrami! I enjoy the navel cut of the pastrami much better. More marbling in the navel cut. Better distribution of fat. The sandwich was the right combination of juicy, fatty, and salty! Not as spiced as pastrami however. Pastrami has stronger notes of coriander, paprika, and black pepper.

Bottom line is that Schwartz’s smoked meat is excellent but not good enough to be a threat to the king of deli meat.... pastrami! I thoroughly enjoyed my sandwich and anticipate crossing paths wth many more in my near future!

Top pic is Schwartz’s and bottom pick is Sarges in NYC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1F74077-2B9E-4FD7-B0E1-F4F9A4372898.jpg (83.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg FD02BF51-F4BD-41EB-8083-C53870A4FB7A.jpg (81.8 KB, 169 views)
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Observations

1. I would totally hit that Smoked Meat sandwich HARD.
2. I would totally hit that NY pastrami HARD.
3. There are very few places in St. Louis that make decent pastrami or corned beef, but none of the ones that do would hold a candle to either of those sandwiches.
4. I really need to try to corn my own beef for pastrami...

Edit:

5. If you've never had a Dr. Brown's with your pastrami, then you've been eating pastrami at the wrong place.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looks excellent Love Pastrami
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I’ve eaten at Schwartz’s twice, thought it was outstanding each time. I did find out the hard way that you need to bring Canadian funds, they don’t take cards. They will take USD but at face value, which means you pay a pretty good premium when using USD.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
TheBBQJew

Name/Nickname : BBQ Jew

Yeah cash only and now paying with USD gets you a 10% premium if that makes any sense!
TheBBQJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Sillius Sodus

I’d certainly take either one anytime, but based on looks alone, that NY Sammy looks like it really needs some help. While you can’t judge a book by its cover ever, there’s a very clear winner here presentation wise...
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did you try the Montreal Bagels while you were there? If so, what did you think seeing as you're a New Yorker.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I have been there twice and enjoyed it both times.

That place is pretty small and can get a line out the door and down the block
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

We ate there twice while in Montreal years ago. Great atmosphere and delicious food! I enjoyed sitting at the counter and shooting the breeze with the guys back there.

I even asked about their process. One worker told me was they smoke their briskets outside for a short period of time and then bring them inside to finish.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

The missus and I went on a vacation to Montreal in February many years ago (not the smartest plan I’ve ever had). On the plus side, the lines at all of the tourist hot spots were pretty darn short. Schwartz’s included. Ate there twice and then got a take out order to eat at the hotel room one other night. I still dream of that sandwich.
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote