How to recycle a stainless kitchen cabinet....

D

Denis Allan

Well I came across this three door cabinet and just had to pull it from the metal pile.. It's a cart used to bring meals to the various floors at the local hostial.. You know those plastic trays with the matching lids.. Our local hospital changed over their system and didn't need carts this size.:clap2: brought it home and had to do some thinking,, this usually hurts a guy like me.. :crazy: but I realized this was going to be quick and easy once I started..
DSC_0024.jpg

Seeing all the shelves got me thinking about how much room these take up.. I opted to clear off the top couple of shelves to allow for excess heat to pool and vent out.. I cleared off the bottom couple for room for the propane burner, a rack with cast iron pant for chips and directly above that a water tray centered..
here I just foiled two racks and have two chickens halved on the smoke..
DSC_0025.jpg

the water pan is working out the way I had hoped and keeps the temp at 210 which makes for a nice low and slow smoke for chicken and ribs...

DSC_0022.JPG

The nice part of this unit.. I'm only using 1/3 of the entire cabinet.. the far left will be used for cold smoking fish once I get a better seal around those doors.. Center section is still open for storage right now..hoping to get my wood chips in there to help keep them dry and ready for smoking..

If anyone knows where I can get a proper seal for these doors.. Would be much appreciated. .I tried beading heat silicon around the doors.. closed it up a bit,, but I'm going to need closer to 3/8 at the top of those doors to really get a good seal..

DSC_0023.JPG

and that's my first smoker.. Went Vertical to save on material, as my welder is still at my father in laws..

Any and all recommendations are welcomed.. So far I have run three batches of ribs, one the smoker was full. 2 racks per shelf.. to 10 racks of ribs.. done some salmon at 110F and a rolled port shoulder roast.. Wife says I'm in charge of the mail meat for dinner most nights.. just have to be here to get her done....

Denis Allan..

From SouthWestern.... Ontario that is...

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 137
McMaster-Carr has woven fiberglass tape that might work. I used it on my Bandera.

PN 8813K31 The adhesive in no good so I got this from them. PN 7549A11 Extreme temp gasket maker. So for everything is holding well. Here is the link to a page that has some other rope gaskets but you can get to the stuff I used from there.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3442/=7zr1ci

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks Chef Jim.. I like that vinyl shape ,but I'm heating above the 150F mark.. I 'm going to bookmark this page and might go with the tape and just install a partial flange overtop to hold it in place.

Thank You

Get yourself some wood burning stove gaskets (thick fire retardant rope like stuff)....that will seal it up. If you look at a stumps smoker (or other vertical smokers) you will see this is how they seal the doors (along with latches to pull it tight). Looks good!

I used that same stuff from Mcmaster's. I fastened it with high temp gasket silicone. You can buy it in tubes for a caulk gun at the auto parts store for about $10. Haven't had a bit of trouble yet.

Thanks Chef Jim.. I like that vinyl shape ,but I'm heating above the 150F mark.. I 'm going to bookmark this page and might go with the tape and just install a partial flange overtop to hold it in place.

Thank You

I also used this on the firebox doors on the Bandera and my Offset. High heat is no problem.

Yes the Stump uses a thicker rope but it is hinged and built to work with that. In the case of a box that is already made you have to work with what you have and not put too much stress on anything but still create a seal.

Back