• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lump vs Briquets in a UDS

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I recently finished building a UDS and have been using Briquets because I heard from several Brethren that lump burns too hot in a UDS. Who with a UDS is using Lump and how's the temp, etc??

I use lump all of the time. I have no temp issues with it. Use less lit charcoal for get go and you'll make it easier to control. Leaving the food alone while it cooks is an issue here. Taking a peek floods the cooker with O2, and with lump, the consequences can be severe.

I don't have a UDS but I do have a WSM. I do like lump in it but it does burn hotter so it just means different vent configuration to keep the temps down. I think the temps also are harder for me to dial in with lump but when I'm doing something like brisket it can handle the temp spikes and I don't worry about it. I've been doing most stuff hot and fast lately anyways. With a real big pork shoulder or something that I know is going to take a long time to cook I usually end up using K blue bag.

I had no idea. I've been using my UDS for a while now, and thought that the word "briquette" was a dirty word among the pros (not sure where I came up with that thought). I use Royal Oak lump and the temps run up to 300 pretty quickly if you peek under the lid. Maybe I'll try briqs next time. Thanks for cluing me in.

Marty, we use about half and half briqs and lump for longer cooks. It is kinda like the best of both worlds. Briqs are a nice even burn and the lump is a little more pure with less ash. It's a nice combination. I am really puzzled why Tricky would make the comment that briquettes are a dirty word. Where did that come from?

I had no idea. I've been using my UDS for a while now, and thought that the word "briquette" was a dirty word among the pros (not sure where I came up with that thought). I use Royal Oak lump and the temps run up to 300 pretty quickly if you peek under the lid. Maybe I'll try briqs next time. Thanks for cluing me in.

Just curious about your statement that "briquette fuel" was a dirty word. Who are you listening to bro?

Great question OP...

Now to tag this on, whats a good briquette to use? I heard that lighting fresh ones after the fire has started, is ca give off poisonous fumes.. True?

what? haha its an honest question. I know nothing outside of BBQ'ing like the average joe. I think I picked this up from someone somewhere down the line. But Im asking so I can get a true answer..

I almost always use a 50/50 mix of Kingsfords Comp briqs and what ever lump I have on hand. I've found that combination works for my long cooks very well.

For hot and fast cooks I like using just lump but I've not found a favorite brand yet.

Many posts here state that if you monitor the temps as they rise and start shutting down the air intake before your target temp any charcoal will hold the temp you want.

Example is when I want 225º at 190º I shut down the air intake to almost 10% and check again 15 minutes later, if the temp is still at 190º then I know I need to open one air intake a little bit more.

On my UDS if I want to cook at 350º I know that at 300º I'll shut down the air intake all the way down and when the temp rises near 350º I'll open the intakes a little bit and the temp seems to stay steady but I do monitor every half hour and adjust from there.

MrOne, I would suggest you do some searches on this forum and see what some folk discuss about this issue. Just trying to help you here bro, but you have been listening to some very odd opinions from somewhere. Give that a try and let us know what you come up with.

I cant search here for sh!t, so I'll try to use google to search this site.

MrOne, PM one of the moderators and they will guide you about the criteria to be able to search on here. You just joined and there are some minimums before you can search. They will give you the info so you can search and get a ton on information. Good luck bro.

what? haha its an honest question. I know nothing outside of BBQ'ing like the average joe. I think I picked this up from someone somewhere down the line. But Im asking so I can get a true answer..

I think what you're thinking of is the white smoke normally given off by charcoal when it's lit. I think some people initially question the minion method because they assume that when the lit charcoal hits the unlit charcoal it will give off the same ugly white smoke. For whatever reason the minion method doesn't produce that white smoke. It probably has something to do with the charcoal smoldering and not actually burning with flames but that's just a guess.

You might also be thinking about adding unlit on top of lit. I would avoid this personally because it might smother the fire and that would lead to an unpleasant taste in the meat. If more fuel is needed I would add coals that were lit in a chimney.

Thanks man for answering my question. I was having one hell of a time searching.

Much appreciation!

Great question OP...

Now to tag this on, whats a good briquette to use? I heard that lighting fresh ones after the fire has started, is ca give off poisonous fumes.. True?

NOT TRUE......but ALL charcoal puts off Carbon Monoxide whenever it burns. Not poison, but if you breath it too much you can end up 6 feet under because it doesn't let your body absorb oxygen.....hence the cute little warning on the bag that says don't burn it indoors.

Back