care for thirds? box pic.

That'd be a solid 8 for me. Looks pretty appealing! On the taste side I'd be concerned that I'd be tasting the sauce more than the meat. 10 spare bones in a box is a little bit crowded IMO. Table Cap'n & Rep would be pleased though... Cheers!!!

Did you put 10 in because those extra 4 were just as good as the best 6? Or just because you wanted to fill the box? Or even both could have been true?

as far as i can tell, without having actually eaten them:becky:they were all equally good...or bad.

Pictures are to misleading, i just looked at my ribs from over the weekend they look like sh it

I agree on an 8. Splotchy marks. Sauce on the container that I'm not supposed to judge but can't help but notice. Good box, but not the "best" box.

dmp

as far as i can tell, without having actually eaten them:becky:they were all equally good...or bad.

So the ribs you sampled off the racks these came off of were equal? Just asking because the more careful I have gotten with what goes in my box the better scores I have started to receive. Obviously you can't take a bite out of those ribs, though it would be funny to see a judges reaction to that :becky:. But I do sample the end ribs to check for tenderness/taste of the rack. Many times 1 rack out of the 4 is by far the best and if I have to go to additional racks that may not be quite as good to complete 6 pieces I choose a few as I have to make the box compliant.

dmp, i and the judges agree with you.

could you site, maybe on bbq critic, a "best" box in your opinion? i'd be interested to see.

I don't have a definition of what makes a box the "best" but if I look at it and it doesn't "pop," that's the opinion that I have. Keep in mind, I've taken the CBJ course, but I don't judge. I compete. Looking at this box, I'd solve the issues with the rub or sauce that give it that splotchy look, prevent from getting sauce on the container, and do something with the garnish. I didn't score down for it, but the garnish is a bit uneven in the picture and and draws my attention. I'd rather see that box without garnish than what's there. It could be the angles of the pics too. That's just MHO.

dmp

So the ribs you sampled off the racks these came off of were equal? Just asking because the more careful I have gotten with what goes in my box the better scores I have started to receive. Obviously you can't take a bite out of those ribs, though it would be funny to see a judges reaction to that :becky:. But I do sample the end ribs to check for tenderness/taste of the rack. Many times 1 rack out of the 4 is by far the best and if I have to go to additional racks that may not be quite as good to complete 6 pieces I choose a few as I have to make the box compliant.

excellent points. my process however "typically" will conflict with that approach. but i always put in the best we got. whether it be 6-8-or even 10

maybe i should change process. :becky:

excellent points. my process however "typically" will conflict with that approach.

maybe i should change process. :becky:

More of a just cut and throw it in the box kind of approach :p?? Just kidding. Yeah it may just be coincidence, but it has seemed to help me lately. Definitely not the only way to do things. Of course none of this actually even answers your appearance question.......so I like the cut of the ribs, sauce does look thick and dark, but all my pictures look darker than in real life. So other than less sauce they look great.

this box placed 10th out of 41.

898 877 866 997 998 988 164.0002

thank for all the thoughts everyone.

Did 866 by any chance leave you a comment card? I sure as heck would have!! Even if it is thrown out there's gota be some rhyme to his/her reason...

Back