MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

You basically just cured that. I'm hoping you used a reasonably safe amount of Tenderquick.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

I find it funny that you come here asking if its a good smoke ring or not, people tell you its not really a smoke ring but a change in color due to using a curing salt but you continue to press us that this is how your family likes it and the only way you can get a good "smoke ring".

1. If this is how your family likes it, rock on and keep doing it, no problems there.
2. Dont come here and ask a bunch of BBQ heads if its "Good" or not when you already know its "good for your family" so who cares.
3. Most people would not call that a "good" smoke ring because its not a smoke ring at all its a ring from using curing salt.

Side note you should be extra careful using that salt because to much of a curing salt is bad news.

https://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/26...-curing-salts/

"But please note: Nitrates and nitrites can be toxic when not used at recommended levels. That’s why most curing salts are tinted pink—to make sure you don’t confuse them with ordinary table salt. (Do not confuse them with Himalayan pink salt, either.)"

so please be careful for your and your family's sake
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser View Post
I used Morton tender salt and smoked it until it was about 200 with a toothpick.@ 300 degrees With a cherry rub I use a new braunsfel hondo that is about 8 years old so nothing fancy pit. Its the only way i can get a good smoke ring But taste good to my family
I had to look that smoker up, there should be no reason you can't get a good smoke ring with charcoal. Especially with KBB.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #19
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for the feedback I know what i was asking and was enlighten I do not take it personal as you may think i have or seem to have. As my other post i was just stating what i used and such with equipment. As stated i have done many different methods from here and other places. But nothing has produce what we liked. I have tried with out the salt and such some say its not brisket it more like corn beef. One thing that has stand true from my point of view is that people quick to judge but not help

Last edited by tx_hellraiser; 05-13-2019 at 04:17 PM..
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #20
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Yep. It was the salt.

Quote:
For Home Meat Curing.
Morton Tender Quick is a fast-cure mix so you can cure meat, poultry or game right in your own kitchen. It gives meats a tasty cured flavor and characteristic pink color. Works particularly well with small cuts of meat, such as pork chops, spareribs and poultry.

Morton Tender Quick mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton Tender Quick is NOT a meat tenderizer.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #21
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thank you The pit temp is hard to control
Have you ever considered getting yourself a bbq guru or similar? Will do wonders for controlling the temp.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #22
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Not familiar with the Hondo. Is it rather like a OK Joe Longhorn, or maybe more like an Old Country Brazos?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #23
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

The hondo is like the silver smoker but has the flat top on the firebox and older versions had beefier steel.

I cooked on a hondo for many years. Use lump as a base coal bed and beer can sized splits for smoke and wood flavor. You will absolutely get a smoke ring.

Brining Using tq you can just soak it and make pastrami or corned beef. You have a good smoker to make true BBQ brisket. My first few competitions were on a hondo. If you look in the bandera101 document in the forum, I have so e mods you can make to the hondo to improve performance and reduce babysitting it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #24
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Whatever floats yer boat....I never understood why so many chase and get so side tracked with the smoke ring....even if it is manipulated. Taste is paramount. To each their own.
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #25
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilliams View Post
Whatever floats yer boat....I never understood why so many chase and get so side tracked with the smoke ring....even if it is manipulated. Taste is paramount. To each their own.
Well to be fair, this type of ring, absolutely affects flavor. OP should have asked "is this pink ring good"?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #26
SweetBlue
Knows what a fatty is.

It’s cool bro. Be safe with the TQ like folks said but otherwise if you guys like it that’s all that matters. We’re all blessed to live in an age where we can experiment with food.
SweetBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #27
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You be the judge

Alright well you asked for it.. No.. if you put this in front of my face.. I would refuse to eat it.. I don't think it looks appetizing at all. I have cooked plenty of briskets.. and I cook with with a wood fire I don't get smoke rings remotely like this. I am siding with the folks that its artificial and this post is pretty much pointless.

That said.. Should be careful with the amount of tender quick you use as others suggested. Family likes it.. keep cooking it.. but no need to bait BBQ heads here on the form like you have..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #28
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Alright well you asked for it.. No.. if you put this in front of my face.. I would refuse to eat it.. I don't think it looks appetizing at all. I have cooked plenty of briskets.. and I cook with with a wood fire I don't get smoke rings remotely like this. I am siding with the folks that its artificial and this post is pretty much pointless.

That said.. Should be careful with the amount of tender quick you use as others suggested. Family likes it.. keep cooking it.. but no need to bait BBQ heads here on the form like you have..
Well said. If i would have said this in my first post, i would have got stoned to death, lol

Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #29
SweetBlue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
Well said. If i would have said this in my first post, i would have got stoned to death, lol
Ya’ll are petty. It’s food.
SweetBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlue View Post
Ya’ll are petty. It’s food.
It is...but trying to pass something off that it isn't, just makes you look bad....just sayin'. WAY too many super educated folks here been doin' this a long time. Of course it looks manipulated, OP shoulda known better than try to pass that off as "un-doctored".
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote