Are you using a water pan? I think you should!

Thanks Sleebs, But I'ma gonna stay dry. Here's why:

I always look and think back to the older ways and how we got to where we are.
Cookin over a fire isn't at all new. But we rush to grab the "latest thing" in the hopes to improve what we are doin. Some works, some don't.
That said, show me where Cavemen to Cowboys ever used steam added to their methods. I can only find that with us Johnny Come Lately Bar-B-Quers.
So even though I do have the supplied water pans with two of my smokers, they stay dry in my use. Catch pans to control mess and clean-up details.
I figure there is plenty of steam given up by the meats being burned to perfection in the new methods and devices.
My exception is where a roasting pan is being used with a closed top. But that is another method. Or my Dutch Oven simmering away.

But I Thank You for sharing what you are finding. :clap2:

Thanks Sleebs for sharing! I had a Primo and a PBC prior to my Humpy. I was really concerned when I bought my Humpy that I would not like the water pan. I have cooked on it about 5 times now and I am slowly becoming a convert. I was concerned about getting a good bark, but it seems to do ok. I also tried running it without the water, but it was real sensitive to damper adjustments. So, I sticking with the water pan for now.
Try a maze to control temps with no water. I never use water in my insulated cabinet. My main reason is it takes a lot of charcoal to boil water in my big water pan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The main chamber holds several gallons of water to steam and moisturize the meat while cooking. Drain out of the bottom cap when finished to clean out.
- Lone Star Grillz (20 x 42 offset.)

I think it depends on where you are.

When I was in Louisiana, the humidity is very high most of the year, often 90-100%. I never found any advantage to using the water pan in my WSM.

When I moved to NOVA, I found the water pan useful when the humidity drops (40-60%) in the spring and fall.

I imagine that the humidity is pretty low in Austin, so it would make sense that Aaron Franklin calls for water pans in his cooking.

David

I have the LSG mini cabinet. When I would cook without water in the pan I had a difficult time maintaining the temp. at 250 without closing down the ball valve air intake, which affected the air flow. I recently learned that by utilizing the water pan I am able to keep the air intake full open for maximum air flow and the cooker temp stays between 225-250.

For the first year or so that I was smoking meats I didn't use a water pan and I'm fairly certain that's why most of my early cooks the meat ended up on the dry side.

Now I put a big foil turkey pan full of water right on top of the diffuser plate in my UDS when doing picnics or briskets.

IMHO the water pan helps maintain moisture and acts as a heat-sink, plus it catches drippings too, which I often add to the pans of meat to keep it moist during reheating.

I always thought that large stickburners will collect condensation and sweat the steel without a waterpan.

Thanks Sleebs, But I'ma gonna stay dry. Here's why:

I always look and think back to the older ways and how we got to where we are.
Cookin over a fire isn't at all new. But we rush to grab the "latest thing" in the hopes to improve what we are doin. Some works, some don't.
That said, show me where Cavemen to Cowboys ever used steam added to their methods. I can only find that with us Johnny Come Lately Bar-B-Quers.
So even though I do have the supplied water pans with two of my smokers, they stay dry in my use. Catch pans to control mess and clean-up details.
I figure there is plenty of steam given up by the meats being burned to perfection in the new methods and devices.
My exception is where a roasting pan is being used with a closed top. But that is another method. Or my Dutch Oven simmering away.

But I Thank You for sharing what you are finding. :clap2:

See, now I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink: Nope, cooking over a fire isn't new. Nope, cavemen didn't use steam, but Cowboys certainly did when they braised beef in a dutch oven on the trail. We could certainly hold true to old methods and never progress forward. I'm obviously not in that camp! I don't think that all that ever needed to be learned about BBQ has already been learned by the folks in the past. :mrgreen:

And that steam given up by the meats...that's moisture that's lost from the meat that just ends up blowing out the stack. Having a more humid cooking environment means that less moisture is lost from the meat (scientifically, the rate of diffusion of water out of the meat slows because the humidity in the pit is high) and in my book, that's a good thing. It also seems to have been proven out with my recent cooks, the chicken breasts included.

Also, I've seen several posts on here from people who weren't using their water pan, and when they did, their pit performed better. Sounds to me like it's worth a try at least once...then you could tell me what a fool I am hah!

I think it depends on where you are.

When I was in Louisiana, the humidity is very high most of the year, often 90-100%. I never found any advantage to using the water pan in my WSM.

I'm ~32 miles WSW of Houston. Humidity here is very similar to Louisiana. I still (subjectively) feel there's a benefit.

When I moved to NOVA, I found the water pan useful when the humidity drops (40-60%) in the spring and fall.

Yup, I can agree with that for sure.

I imagine that the humidity is pretty low in Austin, so it would make sense that Aaron Franklin calls for water pans in his cooking.

Nope. It's pretty much the same as it is here. They aren't far enough away from the coast to make that big of a difference. Texas is a humid place until you start getting way out west or north.

That pic is classic!!!

OK you convinced me...I stopped the water pan a long time ago...because of the mess...but it may be time for a revisit.

See, now I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :wink: Nope, cooking over a fire isn't new. Nope, cavemen didn't use steam, but Cowboys certainly did when they braised beef in a dutch oven on the trail. We could certainly hold true to old methods and never progress forward. I'm obviously not in that camp! I don't think that all that ever needed to be learned about BBQ has already been learned by the folks in the past. :mrgreen:

And that steam given up by the meats...that's moisture that's lost from the meat that just ends up blowing out the stack. Having a more humid cooking environment means that less moisture is lost from the meat (scientifically, the rate of diffusion of water out of the meat slows because the humidity in the pit is high) and in my book, that's a good thing. It also seems to have been proven out with my recent cooks, the chicken breasts included.

Also, I've seen several posts on here from people who weren't using their water pan, and when they did, their pit performed better. Sounds to me like it's worth a try at least once...then you could tell me what a fool I am hah!

Yup. Agree to disagree, Friend.
That's what makes each of us different cooks, Eh?
And why we enjoy each others tastes and techniques.

I've tried it, but prefer my method.
I also like my wife's Pot Roast where she sears the meat in the empty pot, then adds her water and other things.
And I did mention roasting pans and Dutch Ovens. They obviously cook differently because of the closed environment. The pricks on the lid are drippers to self baist the meat.
I made a Dutch Oven full of Pork Chili where I brazed the Pork Loin after Sous Vide the roast, to get that sear on the pieces. Then continued to build my Oven full of Chili.
Different end results. (As a heart patient, I'm supposed to limit my Beef intake. It sucks. But I'm trying to stick around long enough to be a PITA to our children)

I wish we could get together and share some of our cooking. We could both pick up a few new things. :wink:
No Foolin.

I use a water pan in my Performer with the Smoke EZ attachment but don't use it with my WSM; I use a Hunsaker vortex basket. Not really sure why I stopped using water in my WSM, but my cooks turn out great.

Yup. Agree to disagree, Friend.
That's what makes each of us different cooks, Eh?
And why we enjoy each others tastes and techniques.

I've tried it, but prefer my method.

Fair enough!

I wish we could get together and share some of our cooking. We could both pick up a few new things. :wink:
No Foolin.

You and me both brother! I'd enjoy that for sure!

I think a water pan can help even out temps in verticals in addition to adding moisture the cooking environment in any cooker. Side to side on an off-set I don't think it affects the temp diff much so it's more about the moisture in the air (inside the CC)
For the most part the only time I don't use a water pan is if I'm doing chicken which I like to run at 400 and I want crispy skin.

Interesting. I use a water pan on long smokes only, like a brisket or a pork butt.

Back