Some Buck-n-Bourbon with Bear Lard Biscuits

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Kind Brethren Phesant (Ken) sent a package of walleye fillets to me the other day.. and a container of bear lard! Thank you again Ken!! I am looking forward to tasting the walleye soon. :)

I have not been around bear at all so this was a real treat for me. I was anxious to try it. :)
The fat had already been rendered down into a creamy white lard.
I gave it the "pinky finger" test to see what it was like.
I was very surprised...no game flavor at all, it was very mild!

I gathered a handfull of wild onions..

05ae6a76-1.jpg

82bac499-1.jpg

cubed some venison hind roast, from fall deer season..

b1553f40-1.jpg

seasoned with salt and pepper, sprinkled with flour and browned in a bit of the bear lard...

c6cfc07a-1.jpg

4a5fc9a5-1.jpg

37ced018-1.jpg

32f9cc7d-1.jpg

removed the venison and sauteed onions and garlic in the drippings..

f6e92bc6-1.jpg

added the meat to the pot with 3/4 cup of bourbon, 2 cups beef stock, a couple pinches of thyme, marjoram and basil...then salt and pepper.

99449199-1.jpg

set over hot coals to simmer...

c8618c18-1.jpg

made a batch of biscuits with the lard...

7e558257-1.jpg

7e746140-1.jpg

4c84c861-2.jpg

aad846d5-2.jpg

950d9a4c-1-1.jpg

98847533-2.jpg

c277cf2f-2.jpg

673a4d93-2.jpg

I loved it!! The biscuits were light and fluffy...the venison tasted like beef tips in gravy.
Thank you again Ken, this was one of my favorite meals to date. :becky:

Thanks for looking!

Way above and beyond Jeanie! You are living right! :clap2:

Did you have coffee bruin when you made that?

Hey, it was Deguerre's idea....:tsk:

I swear I fall more madly in love with you with every meal you post!

lol...
Good job. Love it!

lol Thanks everybody! :grouphug:

I really enjoyed this meal. :-D

Looks fantastic, Bear Lard? WOW something new everyday.....Thank you

I was thinking the same thing, along with did he eat the bear? And I never thought to use those wild onions growing in the yard...hmmm, next time I don't have green onions for my salad I'll have to remember that! Everything looks great as always Jeanie!:thumb:

I am an old history major and I recall reading about bear lard in some frontier related journals. Evidently bear lard was highly prized for baking and frying and was a major part of keeping our pioneer ancestors fed. Also I have talked to a few old timers in northern Minnesota who recall their parents and grandparents use of bear lard. One gentleman said his mother made the best pie crust in the world with it! I think it is great when we take a step back into history with food.

I recently found a cookbook that takes recipes from the "Little House on the Prarie" series and actually makes them and adapts them to modern stoves. I bought it for my ten year old niece who is into cooking with her parents. I am excited to make a few things with her from it. It would be neat if bear lard is mentioned.

As always, Cowgirl's use of wild game is inspiring and looks amazing!

Bear lard... Very interesting. Looks great Jeanie! As always... :becky:

Cheers

Thank you friends.. I owe it all to Phesant for turning me into a bear crazed woman now. lol :becky:

I was thinking the same thing, along with did he eat the bear? And I never thought to use those wild onions growing in the yard...hmmm, next time I don't have green onions for my salad I'll have to remember that! Everything looks great as always Jeanie!:thumb:

Thank you Michele! It's good to see you posting again!!

I am an old history major and I recall reading about bear lard in some frontier related journals. Evidently bear lard was highly prized for baking and frying and was a major part of keeping our pioneer ancestors fed. Also I have talked to a few old timers in northern Minnesota who recall their parents and grandparents use of bear lard. One gentleman said his mother made the best pie crust in the world with it! I think it is great when we take a step back into history with food.

I recently found a cookbook that takes recipes from the "Little House on the Prarie" series and actually makes them and adapts them to modern stoves. I bought it for my ten year old niece who is into cooking with her parents. I am excited to make a few things with her from it. It would be neat if bear lard is mentioned.

As always, Cowgirl's use of wild game is inspiring and looks amazing!

Thanks Grain Belt! These were the best biscuits I've had. I hope to try a pie crust with it too.
Your cookbook sounds very interesting...I bet your niece will love it! Hope you take pics of your cooks from the book! :)

Thanks again friends!

Back