• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS options red liner

tmehlhorn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I finally found some really good barrels for making my UDS. They're in great condition and had Vaseline in them. However they have the dreaded red liner in them. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, however I am undecided on method and looking for additional inputs.

1 somebody mentioned using a stripper such as citristrip or something non-toxic this could be a very possible option just wondering who has actually had luck with it and how did you go about it.

2 weed burner I've heard mixed things on this concerning the red liner does it actually work? And how much propane do you typically use burning one out.

3 a burn is NOT really an option because of where I live I would have to make special arrangements to take it somewhere to do this.

After 2 unsuccessful LARGE HOT burns, I paid $20 to get mine sandblasted inside and out. Best $20 I ever spent!

I think I had the red liner in mine, It looked like paint to me. My barrel had flavoring for ice cream. Seemed like the trick was burning it a couple of times (if you can take it somewhere to do it). The color will go from the original red to black and then to a reddish brown color. Once you get to that point, comet and a green 3m scouring pad or the like will take it off with hardly any work. Hope this helps.

Edit: if you have any spots that are still black inside, its really tough to get out. I would recommend burning it again to get it to that reddish color. I tried a wire wheel on a drill and it didnt work very well at all.

I did a long hot burn and a wire wheel to get mine out. It was messy, loud, and took two weekends to accomplish. If somebody will sandblast it out for $20, throw money at them before they realize you'd gladly pay more.

Back