• Awesome idea, thanks for sharing

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Duhh!!! but you're a newbie, A for effort

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I smoked three turkeys this week. I ran a string around the whole turkey where the wings are to keep the wings in close. I would have tied the drums together but instead kept the plastic thingy in place that came on the turkey. I then ran a string from that legs to the one around the whole turkey. This tightened up the turkey into a tighter ball, but also gave a nice "handle" that could be used to pick the turkey up when putting in the drum, rearrangeing, and removing.

So my brilliant ideal is the handle. Or is this a "duh!!!!" thing that I finally discovered?

I think its fine. Personally I take the plastic handle off but it is designed to withstand high temperatures. Occasionally you will get a metal one though...

I usually remove the plastic handle off, but the package on the last turkey I cooked said the handle is safe to 500°.

Umm, the plastic thing is meant to be left on while cooking... I've never seen one melt.

Sounds like a good idea, I personally like to tuck the wing tip into the elbow joint of the bird, which actually pulls the wing away from the breast, I think it allows the breast to cook more evenly, but the downside is I don't get a handle on mine... :doh::tsk:

To be honest I never read the package for such information that its oven safe. Also how does one stuff a bird with the legs tied shut?

Cheers

BPA is the coating that makes these plastics "food safe," which simply means they do not exceed FDA requirements for degradation when in contact with ingredients. A recent study examined store bought foods and found 60% contained BPA, including fresh turkey. There is no explanation for where the BPA levels in the turkey came from. Any guesses?

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite...containers_unsafe_for_infants_1701100204.html

BPA is the coating that makes these plastics "food safe," which simply means they do not exceed FDA requirements for degradation when in contact with ingredients. A recent study examined store bought foods and found 60% contained BPA, including fresh turkey. There is no explanation for where the BPA levels in the turkey came from. Any guesses?

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite...containers_unsafe_for_infants_1701100204.html

Yeah, that's why I get mine galvanized!

Back