MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #61
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Awesome pies!! Beautiful crusts...
thanks! Trying to get similar results to your pies in your WFO!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #62
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
(in a low very freaky voice) Yeahhhhhhhh that pizza is for a dirty giiiirrrrrllll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeQBHludGs&NR=1
I mean, use some regular firebricks... for Pete's sake!!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #63
Brauma

I used to set my stone on 2 firebricks, set on edge. This puts the stone up higher in the kettle dome where the heat is. I had great luck with this technique.

But now I have an Egg.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #64
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Those pies look GREAT, but would love to see pics and details of your build as I haven't started mine yet...what are you using as a heat deflector for the inside of the weber cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
couple more pies tonight on the LBE - I need to tweak it a bit - my main grate is sagging and I need more airflow over the top of the pie...
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #65
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Great idea

Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #66
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Those pies look GREAT, but would love to see pics and details of your build as I haven't started mine yet...what are you using as a heat deflector for the inside of the weber cover?
I just made a couple more pies today so it is too hot to take pics, but I will tomorrow and post it up. The biggest difference so far was using firebrick as the hearth - it has improved the pies quite a bit

Old 09-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #67
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Here are the pies I cooked today...70% HR - first one cooked in 3:45 I think it was and was good..not as much top browning as last night with 68%. Went on at 600 stone temp (725 dome temp). Second pie went on at 650 stone temp and bottom was too burnt ??? ???. Here are pics of the setup..the diffuser bowl is off center in the pic (centered when cooking). I have the FB cheated up front so my spacing in the rear is bigger..it is certainly hotter in the rear as you can tell by the burn marks from the second pie (which was placed near the back for some reason??. Do you think I need a bigger vent for more airflow? I am contemplating taking out the diffuser and trying it and then trying a pizza stone on the FB with no diffuser as well (which would raise my pies in the dome a bit). I have an 18 inch alum pizza pan in the lid to decrease volume

I still need more air flow over the top of the pies I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1133.JPG (42.3 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1134.JPG (39.3 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1135.JPG (34.9 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by gtsum; 02-01-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #68
Moose

I don't think you probably need a bigger vent for airflow - my guess is that your firebricks are blocking off some of the rising heat from the back, which is why using a round stone may help with that. With a round stone (probably 16 inch would be best) with the stone positioned very closely to the front of the vent, the space in the rear would allow more heat to move over the top of the pie.

Also, any particular reason you didn't line the inside of the kettle or cover with foil? That also seems to be a good heat deflector...

Also, did you rotate your pizzas when you cooked them? That may help reduce the back getting burned...

Check out these videos, and see how quickly his pies cook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYRnKe6gJxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1maP...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Do you think I need a bigger vent for more airflow? I am contemplating taking out the diffuser and trying it and then trying a pizza stone on the FB with no diffuser as well (which would raise my pies in the dome a bit). I have an 18 inch alum pizza pan in the lid to decrease volume

I still need more air flow over the top of the pies I think

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #69
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I had foil inside, but it starts to melt and come off..it only lasted a couple of cooks. Most everyone that I have see make these does not use foil anymore (that vid of vila roma is several years old). Vila's cooker is a smokey joe, much, much smaller then my 22.5 - he is using basically the same burner and is getting quite a bit hotter temps (since the kettle is so small). I think the weber 18.5 would be ideal size, but I had the 22 sitting here not doing anything which is why I tried it with it. Yes, I rotate the pies about every 45 seconds - I am going to mess with the SS bowl some more and see how it goes.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #70
CarolinaQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I finished my pizza ring for my 22.5 Weber Kettle grill this week and fired it for the first time. I achieved an air temp of 720 degrees with one chimney of part lump and part charcoal with two small pieces of seasoned oak. Next test will be cooking a pie to see how it performs and make needed changes from there, if any are needed.
CarolinaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #71
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

What is the benefit of an open side? Air flow? Does is cook better or faster than just putting the lid on the grill?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #72
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqchicken View Post
What is the benefit of an open side? Air flow? Does is cook better or faster than just putting the lid on the grill?

The opening in the front is where the hot air will vent out. The air flow over the top of the pizza cooks the toppings while the stone cooks the crust.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #73
motoeric
Babbling Farker

As a quick heads up, there will be a review of the KettlePizza in the next issue of Smoke Signals (available in February).

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #74
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqchicken View Post
The vent helps force hot air over the cooking pizza so the top cooks more or less as quickly as the bottom. The smaller the vent, the more hot air will flow over the top of the cooking pizza. On my kettle, the vent is merely that - it does not serve as an opening to put the pizza on or remove it from the kettle.

Tags
weber kettle mods