Sauce on a brisket?

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've only been in a few KCBS comps. We're working on brisket. Done
better this off season thanks to Kosmos and Butcher.

Our rub is pretty good, and we black pepper it fairly heavily for brisket.

Curious, do many of you guys/gals sauce your brisket (for comps)?

If so, what type of sauce, glazing before slicing, or perhaps a little
after slicing?

We sauce the back of the brisket after we slice it. We use our own sauce. I like to leave the front alone so you can see the smokering clearly.

That was one of the things I was wondering about (thick sauce potentially taking
away from presentation and/or hiding smoke ring. Interesting approach (yours).

Thanks.

I wouldn't dare ask for your exact recipe (of sauce), but what type of sauce (basic
ingredients) do you use on brisket?

Frankly, we dont use sugars in our rub, so our pork and chicken sauce (same sauce
for all) is rather sweet. From my personal perspective, it's not ghastly with beef,
but it's really not the right combination....

we used a ketchup based sauce with apple cider vinegar and it does have some bite but is still sweet. We have one sauce that we use on all our meat except for pork. Our rub does have turbinado sugar in it so we don't have any worry about it not being sweet enough.

We sauce the back of the brisket after we slice it. We use our own sauce. I like to leave the front alone so you can see the smokering clearly.

if you put them in a row, each with sauce on the back, wont then each following piece have sauce on front and back?

Hmmmmmmmm

if you put them in a row, each with sauce on the back, wont then each following piece have sauce on front and back?

Hmmmmmmmm

I guess I should have clarified that this would be for presentation purposes as Lake Dog said. Just for the judges to see when the box is opened and scored for presentation. The front piece would be unsauced.

I thin a store-bought comp sauce down with apple juice and au jus from the brisket. Slice brisket and dredge in au jus and pour a little over in the box to ensure coverage.

We use different sauces for different meats, but our Kentucky Bourbon sauce seems to get the most acclaim. It's a sweet and smokey (molasses and dark brown sugar), tomato-based sauce with some bourbon mixed in for a little tang and kick.

Personally, I like a thinner, hotter, Texas-style sauce on my brisket, but the judges seem to like it sweeter and more "glazed" - at least in my limited experience.

Our rub has brown sugar in it too, so our turn-ins tend to be pretty sweet overall.

Anyone know of a decent, commonly available, store-bought sauce for brisket. I've used KC Masterpiece before, but my ladies thought it a bit too spicy.

Suggestions?

I don't participate in competitions, but my favorite sauce for brisket is Famous Dave's Devil's Spit.

Bone suckin sauce! It is better as a mopping sauce than as a post cooking dip/coat, but it is as good a store bought Q sauce as I have found.

We use Billy Bones and Michelbob's sauce when we want a dipping/coating sauce and of course you have to have several flavors of Famous Dave's sauces for when the urge hits. :)

But then shouldn't you not use any spice/sauces on any meats if you really want the meat flavor? When I eat steak, I put very little on it. When I make BBQ, I make BBQ. I want the gill flavors, the rub flavors and sometimes a nice sauce to dip it in or mop it with. I stick with a sirloin tip if I want Q and taste the beef. :)

Anyone know of a decent, commonly available, store-bought sauce for brisket. I've used KC Masterpiece before, but my ladies thought it a bit too spicy.

Suggestions?

Can you get Head Country? It's the only reason i go to my local WalMart.

We cut Head Country with the au ju. Sauce on brisket needs to be thin and you need to taste the meat.

Back