MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Double Smoked Ham is on ..

20 lb Smithfield ham, injected with double recipe of Sweet Kiss of Death injectable marinade 'thru mfr's cryovac', scored top and into BGE for apprx 10 hrs.starting at 225*F and slowly increasing temp. Going for 135*F internal. Has drip pan of diluted inject below.
Went with BGE and lots of pecan and cherry chunks throughout the lump (Royal Oak and Sonoran Mesquite). I'll get better temp stability for most of the cook .... if lump load starts to die out I can quickly fire up the Traeger and finish it up. I love having 2 cookers!

Plan to baste in last 2 hrs of so with 'reduced' inject .... unless someone thinks that is a bad idea. Should have planned better, won't be ready until around 8 or 9:00 tonight.

Merry Christmas to all !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Injected _SweetKiss of Death_DSCF1186.jpg (98.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Goin for smoke Crop_DSCF1185.jpg (110.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 10 hrs to go_240F_DSCF1187.jpg (95.9 KB, 187 views)
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That injection is a nice sticky substance to clean up. Worth the effort though.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

it was like a sprinkler near the end .... wifey is not talking too much right now (especially not things I can post) ..

Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Nice pics! Hope it turns out good for you!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

I thought the basting was with the maple syrup concoction. Thats how i did mine monday. it came out great.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy
I thought the basting was with the maple syrup concoction. Thats how i did mine monday. it came out great.
-------------------------------------

It is and I used it on my 'test' cook but that was not injected. Maybe I can add some maple syrup, cider vinegar, worcestershire to the inject and get closer ... oops ... coffee powder too!

Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Done a bit early!

Only about 6 hours for this whole (20lb) ham to reach 135*F. That's about 18 min per lb. Internal temp was accurate and cooking temps (225*F slowly raised to 280*F) were as directed. Seems like a whole ham_ injected_cooks faster than the 25-30min per lb in the recipe.
First meal was very good. Inject flavor was present but not overpowering. The best is yet to come since we started at the shank end and made the whole meal working back along the bone. Too early to set any firm opinions, but so far, so good! Will comment later when sampling the 'prime cuts'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready to Pull_DSCF1189.jpg (106.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Resting2_DSCF1190.jpg (103.8 KB, 160 views)

Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great Tommy. Please report back after you get into the body of the ham and get into more of the injection. I may not do the injection next time because I thought it was too sweet.

I had the shower experience too. That sticky stuff was squirting all over the kitchen. Lucky for me wifey didnt see it and I cleaned it up right away.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Some final thoughts ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma
Looks great Tommy. Please report back after you get into the body of the ham and get into more of the injection. I may not do the injection next time because I thought it was too sweet.
I had the shower experience too. That sticky stuff was squirting all over the kitchen. Lucky for me wifey didnt see it and I cleaned it up right away.
---------------------------------

Really glad I tried it ... I feel the 'whole' ham version needs some fine-tuning since it seems like the original was developed with 1/2 hams (especially shank).

I doubled the injection/marinade formula (assuming it was devised for a 1/2 ham) and injected all of it .... however a large amount ended up in the pan afterward and was used as a last-hour baste. Tried reducing some of it down for a table sauce and it was too thick and strong.

The result was pretty good .... subtle, slightly sweet effect throughout the ham, the butter pecan extract flavor comes through nicely yet not at all overpowering. I did use the orange extract, but the bottle was almost empty and had been around a long time .... no negative impact.

I feel this is a unique way to prepare a holiday (special event) ham, not as much trouble as I expected, and a darned good result .... just not as impressive as I anticipated.

It would be great if others continued to refine this cook, especially using whole hams, to find some tricks that would really kick it up a notch.

The BGE temp control was excellent and kept the product quite moist. I did place a drip pan below, cooked indirect using the BGE ceramic 'plate setter' to buffer heat from below, and a liberal number of pecan and cherry chunks throughout the mixture of R.O and Mesquite lump.

An earlier test cook was done on the Traeger 075 with a 1/2 ham and the 'cut' side got a bit dry. I wish now that I had reversed the process and done the 1/2 ham on the BGE and whole ham on the Traeger.

Long-winded wrap-up .... but I hope it helps some who are considering this cook soon. This final pic is the remaining center portion ... saved the best for last! Well .... maybe, tonight we had Thirdeye's Great Northern Beans after a long cook with some of those great meaty bones!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CenterPortion1_DSCF1196.jpg (91.9 KB, 132 views)

Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Plowboy

That looks really nice, Tom. Another great cook from a great cook!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Neil

I did two 15 #er's in the 'dera on Christmas and both came out great. I stuck cloves in each square of the scoring and sprayed with leftover injection marinade. I also glazed it once the internal temps hit 125*. I was able to maintain pit temps of 225-250 throughout the cook and they were both done within 15 minutes of eachother. Total cook time was 5 hours. I started cooking hams this way last year and will never cook anorther one any other way again.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
tommykendall

Nice table mod. Really nice.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
it was like a sprinkler near the end .... wifey is not talking too much right now (especially not things I can post) ..
Same thing happened to me with out the "cry vac". I was thinking about leaving it in the "cry vac" but seems like it will not matter either way.

Alton Brown says just to score and not cut to deeply but next time I think I'll go deeper and just pour the marinade over the top.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

That coffee/maple glaze really added a lot to the half spiral cut one I did Christmas. I was lazy and us the Tony Catchers Cajun Butter injection.
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

I used a boneless ham because we were pushed a bit for time but it turned out fantastic! I just scored where the indentations were from the "net" after injecting the sweet kiss of death marinade through the cryo-wrap. Brushed on the coffee/maple sauce 4 times during the cook. I might have cooked it about 30 minutes less to have a bit more moist but it had a great flavor. we had it for dinner on Christmas Eve and my wife diced up some for use in scrambled eggs on Christmas morning for breakfast. I think I better have a few slices for lunch today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ham1.jpg (341.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg ham2.jpg (363.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg ham3.jpg (359.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg ham4.jpg (321.4 KB, 111 views)
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote