• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bone-in 7 lbs. leg of lamb… need suggestions!!

mmascitti

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just bought a leg of lamb and looking for any suggestions on a marinade/rub and also a cook temp/time. The typical garlic and rosemary is a go-to but looking for any techniques and recipes that people might have.

Will be using my webber charcoal grill for cooking.

I've done a few leg of lamb an two sets of rack of lamb..

I'm no expert by any means but here's what I did..

I did a marinade for 18hrs. APPLE JUICE, APPLE CIDAR VINEGAR, BROWN SUGAR, SALT, PEPPER, GARLIC, BAY LEAVES, ORANGE SLICES, AND ONION..

Before setting on the grill the morning before my cook.. I rubbed it down with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, and a lil more brown sugar..

I did on a weber over direct heat about 375-425 for an hr or lil more gave it a good char.. I moved it over to a taller grate pit an ran about 300 for 2 hrs then wrapped in foil for the last hr..

To say it was GREAT would be an understatement honestly.. The bones on the rack just slipped right out when pulled.. The leg had a finishing taste an texture very similar to barbacoa ( cows head/cows tongue ) it was delish an every time it was made there were NO LEFTOVERS :)

Good luck an I hope this helps a lil

Thanks for info. Exactly what I was looking for!

My only question: do you know how much the leg weighed?

I don't remember exactly how much it weighed.. Full leg though.. I received it fresh straight from the kill.... ^^ the link posted above has a couple more ideas u could use.. Goodluck an post up ur finished product..

I smoked one of these, using the rosemary-garlic combo you mentioned.

I was only somewhat impressed as I'm pretty sure I overcooked it.

I cooked it for 4-5 hours at 250 and it was much dryer than I'd anticipated. Maybe CLee's recipe is the one to go with.

My advice to doing this for the first time is to keep the prep very simple.

Let the lamb speak for itself. One question I have for you is how old the lamb was. If it is a yound (spring) lamb, you want to go hotter and faster than if is it mutton.

Use some lump and fruit wood if you have it and put it in the Weber at a consistent 350F. If you like it rare and it is a young lamb, rest it as it gets to 125F internal. Don't take it above 145F internal.

If the lamb is "mutton" going lower and slower is fine, and you might want to have it more well done at 150F or more internally.

Keep the flavours simple though. Garlic, Rosemary Salt and Cracked black pepper will always get you good comments. I also recommend Celery Salt or Celery Seed. This is also awesome with lamb.

As for a commercial rub, Todds Dirt and preparations like that are perfect for lamb.

If you want to seriously spice it up though, the above suggestions are fine.

Good luck with it!

Cheers!

Bill

So decided on making a rub out of garlic, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper, ground mustard seed, and herb de provence. Did that the day before grilling. Let marinade for 24 hours.

Before throwing on the grill I let sit at room temp for about 2 hours. Then sear on all sides over direct heat and let sit on indirect heat for about 1-1.5 hours.

I have pics attached of finished product. The first is showing the char i got which was the most delicious part. The second two are inside color and showing range of doneness. I was surprised how rare the lamb was towards the center bone. I was aiming for a medium rare and for the most part thats what I got.

Glad I bought a full leg with bone in because it is a slightly tricky cut to cook. I usually don't use a thermometer and just rely on the touch test and learning the feel of this cut will def take some practice.

Hope people can see pics. I'm new on site and i couldn't get pics to post in message so I attached. Hope that works. If anyone has any other ideas how to post pics that would be helpful.

Cheers!

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 69
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 68
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks pretty good from here! :thumb: How did you like it?

There are a bunch of free photo sharing websites that guys use to post pictures. I take most pics from my phone, so I upload from there. Then you just grab the share link from the photo site and use the insert image link in the message section to get into your posts.

It was pretty good. I went too light on the salt. I went a little too conservative with the amount of rub too. Since I was marinating for 24 hours I thought that I wanted to not over power the flavor of the meat. Also I had issues with having a container large enough to marinade in. I didn't have a bag that was big enough for a 7 lbs. piece of meat nor anything else ie. cooler or bowl. So I had to go with more of a rub than marinade. So leg wasn't submerged in a liquid. Don't have a ton of experience with cuts this large so this was def a learning experience.

That looks delicious!

It's all a learning experience! Thanks for sharing it with us!

That is perfectly cooked. You had some more done parts for those who
don't know any better, and a lot of juiciness for the rest.
ONE THING - TRIM ALL VISIBLE FAT - I guess it won't matter
if it's really young, but the older the leg, the more you need to get that fat
out of all the crevasses, etc. I mix mustard with the basic rub (S,P, crushed garlic, rosemary) and 'paste' it on. The mustard goes away during cooking, adds no taste.
Nice lamb. Well, ex-lamb.

Since I was marinating for 24 hours I thought that I wanted to not over power the flavor of the meat.
I'm reading that most ingredients penetrate the meat only slightly, salt being the EXCEPTION. So a low salt marinade is mainly hitting the outside of meat, according to the interwebs.

Back