Tuning Plates and Baffle

Sgtcomp0311

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I will be receiving my first smoker in about 2 weeks. It is a gift, a little birdy told me about.......I just need to act surprised that day! Anyway, it is a CG Smoking Pro. I have been researching the mods that are recommended to the unit. I am going to do most of them as I assemble it. My question is on the tuning plates and baffle. What gauge sheet metal do you guys recommend? My local home depot/lowes do not carry any pre cut pieces so I will go to a local steel fabricator. I also plan on getting my expanded metal from him as well.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

I used 16ga. (1/16") on mine. No pics yet. Wife has the camera, and I'm doing a trial with a chuck roll, cut in fourths. Did the mods yesterday. Staying about 15-20 difference across the smoker. Holding at 250* right next to firebox. Will post pics soon.

Actually, doing more research, would steel plates be better than sheet metal?? Thoughts anyone........

I have the same question, Sgtcomp. Seems like steel plate would help hold heat.

I've had my Chargriller for a few years now and love it. Until joining the Brethren, it never occured to me to make modifications. Mine is about worn out now but I will definately buy another and make some mods to it.

Swibirun shows some mods he made on the 'Brinkman Smoker' thread. Might get some ideas there.

Would like to hear what you decide on doing.

Thanks

Is the CG Smoker Pro an offset? If so, I have it's predicessor, the New Brunsfeld model. I used steel plates for my heat shield/baffle and the tuning plates. It works just fine. Shhet metal would not, I think, distribute the heat nor hold up as well.

I know I posted pics of the mods but I sure can't find them now. Good Luck!

I used tuning plates on my CG. I bought the precut little plates at Lowe's. They were about 6 x 12. Sat perfectly just above the opening to fire box. I used 4 plates.

I am thinking I will be going with steel. DesertDweller brought up the right idea and I agree. The steel will; A) hold up better and B) retain the heat better.
I figure I will use plates that are about 1/16" - 1/8" thick.

Countyliner or Que: I do not even have mine yet....I want to get all materials prior to assembly.....what lenght will the plates need to be?

Thank you

We need a thread with pics on how to tune a pit. I can understand pictures descriptions a lot better. I have this same dilemma coming up soon myself.

got my baffle from Lowes, 16ga steel, 8"x18" little big had to cut it down. Seems to work alot better. Big improvement was charcoal basket. Holds temp alot better. Shaker basket from lowes, cut handles off, use round stock also from Lowes as supports, works magic.

Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!

Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!

100% agreed...

100% agreed...

Dont take this the wrong way, but how could you not agree!!

Everyone, and I mean everyone from Food Network Star down to the guy wondering where to find his next per diem job is helpful. We are all a bunch of guys (and girls ) gathered in search of perfect Q'ue. I truly appreciate everyone here!!

WELL SAID!!!!

I also bought a chargriller duo w/sfb recently, my first smoker. Are yall talking tuning plates to transfer heat from one side the darn thing to the other? TELL ME MOORE... TELL ME MORE...

I got a TRUCK LOAD of questions to ask about how to tame the beast.
Would appreciate any pointers my way...

My Q needs alot of improving!:razz:

I have had been smoking for over 15 years and on a offset you definitely have to make mods or you will be chasing your heat constantly. Heres what I did on my second offset(smokey Joes longhorn), and this is from my hit and miss of my first one. I added the following: Baffle(1/4"), 5 tuning plates. 2 8" (1/4"), 2 6" and 1 4" (1/8") all from steel because it retains heat better. I added to the fire box and to the cooking chamber a graphite Fiberglass gasket with 2 pull down clamps to each side. I also made a 12" by 6 " charcoal basket set up for the minion method. Also brought the stack down to approx. 1 " from the cooking grate and added the existing pipe(6") to the smokestack. Added hole to accept cables for external temp units and lastly 1/4" by 6" piece of steel where I lay on a angle in the firebox to help direct the heat into the cooking chamber. By doing this I maintain a 5 degree difference from left to right on a normal day (can't complain about this) and my food turns out fab everytime. When I get a chance, I will post pictures how it looks and the mods I made. if anyone has any questions, call me, I am always willing to share the Magic of Smoking meat, because that is what it is (910)381-0968!
Steve

On my superpro I turned over the charcoal grate/ash pan and mounted that right up against the inlet on the right. The curve of the ash pan matched the curve of the inlet perfectly. I use a couple of (half moon?) bricks underneath the grate to hold it up. The bricks also help with heat retention and evening out the temperature.

One could then drill holes to let smoke through but I am having good results without them.

Good times! :cool:

That CG comes with almost every thing you need to make it into a Crackerjack lil pit. there are 2 Ci grates that come in the Firebox take them out an lay 1 at each end of the cooking chamber the turn the charcoal pan up side down on top of it and slide it up to the right end the pit is now tuned no lowering the stack and all that other Bull crap my temps are +/- 3 deg end to end and I add 1 split every 45 min to maintain my temps.
PHOT0194.jpg

Go to the hardware store and get a 12X 24 piece of expanded metal an 4' of 1" steel angle Iron and 6' of 1 " Aluminum angle iron and a package of 10X 32 machine screws.

Cut the steel Angle Iron into 12.5" pieces and lay them in the fiie box bend the Expanded sheet 4" from 1 end and 2" from the other end put that on top of the angel Iron. this is all the Firebox needs.
DSCN0597.jpg

Cut the Aluminum angel you need 1 piece that is the long dimension of the inside of the lid and 2 pieces that are the length of the side minus 1" use the machine screws and attach the angle to the inside of the lid on both sides and across the back. this will stiffen the top and Flange it sealing leaks.

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

Look Ma No leaks
DSCF0015.jpg

Hey Dawg, your grill is backwards! :grin:

Sweet.. This is worth more than some of the redicurous videos I had been checking out lately. Thanks Blue! This is going to make life sooo much easier.

Mike

Bludawg, I also use my charcoal grate flipped over for a baffle and it works great; however, I never thought of using the firebox grates to hold it up. Very nice tip brother. Thanks for that.

I have the Chargriller Outlaw now because I gave my Smokin' Pro to my son. The outlaw is not as good in quality as the Smokin' Pro, so mods were a must for me. Here are a few of the highlights...

First, I use my charcoal pan as a heat baffle. I did this with the Smokin' Pro too, and it works just as well on the Outlaw. Thanks to Bludawg's post above, I am going to prop it up with the grates from the side firebox now...

Next, I added a Tel-Tru Thermometer at the grate level so I can get good temp readings. The stock thermometer in the Outlaw is worthless!

Then I used some RTV Red Gasket Maker to seal up the leaks around the smoke stack and the cheapie thermometer. I don't show it here but I painted them black once it set...

Most importantly, I mounted some 1/2 x 1/2 inch angle iron around the front and sides of the cooking chamber, and laid in some stove rope, and sealed it all in with RTV Red Gasket Maker. This allows the cooking chamber to be sealed very tightly when the lid is closed. I also did the same thing on the backside of the chamber because smoke was literally rolling out the back side. Now its sealed up pretty tight...

That's all I did so far, and I really think I'm done. I bought this smoker to tide me over until I get myself a Lang! Until then, Boss Hog is ready for action!

Back