Charcoal Basket Question

A

atz413

I just got my charcoal basket that Char-Griller makes for their SFB, and it's way too small, with sloping sides, and I think the spacing of the bars is too wide. I don't hold out much hope for this:
charcoalbasket.jpg

So...

Has anyone tried using one of those square "grill woks" as a charcoal basket? I see them for about $20 online, but again, I'm not thrilled with the sloping sides:
36640594eb539d7348afe587841c9d6f.jpg

Or, alternatively, has anyone tried using a modified deep fryer basket? I saw one for about $31 dollars:
fmp_225-1003.jpg

It's 13L x 12-1/4W x 5-3/8H, and I figured if I could cut off the handle and hook (and maybe add some loops to pick it up with) it might work pretty well.

Comments or suggestions are always welcome!

:thumb:

Thanks,
Andy

If you have a BigLots or Ocean State Job Lot anywhere near you, go they have those square woks for like $5.00

A lot of folks get a sheet of expanded metal and make their own. Home Depot should have everything you need.

I also bought the Char-Griller charcoal basket and basically couldn't figure out what use it had for exactly the reasons you state. My solution was to go with option three and simply saw off the handle (the hook doesn't have to be cut as it still fits in the firebox just fine.

I also bought the Char-Griller charcoal basket and basically couldn't figure out what use it had for exactly the reasons you state. My solution was to go with option three and simply saw off the handle (the hook doesn't have to be cut as it still fits in the firebox just fine.

Really? Cool beans! :-D

I don't want to go the "wok route" for the reasons stated, and I've read enough about the expanded metal boxes to think that it's more work than I care to do, with the prospect of it "burning out" after some time. I figure the stainless steel fry basket should last for some while.

Thanks to all! And any more comments are still welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back