MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Adding alcohol sales to catering service

Wondering how many of you have a alcohol license and sell beer/wine as part of your catering. I am considering adding it to our catering service and I can get a limited license here for $500 annual fee that allows me to do up to 12 events per year with alcohol sales. If I want the full license it is $1800.

My question is how do you price the service to clients? Say open bar vs cash bar. Is there a standard mark up that you put on say a beer or glass of wine?

I have checked into the insurance and it is not that high to add it to my policy (like $250 annually) Any other good info you may have as well. Not really looking for the stay away type comments, I have accepted what I am pursuing and already realize those kind of issues. I'm looking more for info on how to make it successful if ya know what I mean. Thanks
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stay the fark away! ;)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

NJ would never go for that, they would hang you

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post

My question is how do you price the service to clients? Say open bar vs cash bar. Is there a standard mark up that you put on say a beer or glass of wine?
Cash bar always. markup is usually 5x. This is VA right? If you get an ABC license do you have to buy through distribution or can you still buy retail? Do you have to collect and report any kind of additional entertainment or sales tax? Check and see if you're required to have an ATF permit as well. Liquor laws can vary by county so check with the counties you operate in as well. Also don't forget that you are responsible for carding and ensuring that minors don't have access to alcohol at your events.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
NJ would never go for that, they would hang you

Would not go for what? Are saying caterers do not serve alcohol in NJ?

Slamdunkpro - Yes it is VA I can get a beer, wine, liquor "Caterers" limited license from the ABC which allows me to do 12 events per year for $500 or I can get the unlimited license for like $1700. You are correct as far as counties, you have the state guidelines and then may have additional guidelines for the county. I have checked with my insurance and it is remarkably cheap (less than $300 per year) to add the ABC to my catering insurance.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
Would not go for what? Are saying caterers do not serve alcohol in NJ?
In New Jersey a State Liquor License is required for use at a specific building only. Even if you have an outside patio to serve food, you must get a an additional extension of premises permit approved by the local municipality and issued by the State Alcoholic Beverage Commission to have the alcohol outside.

If you are catering without these permits, you can expect heavy fines and possibly loss of any other state issued permits. The ABC has the authority to close any business engaged in non-compliance.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote