MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

yoda.jpg

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Seriously I think some would be pit masters try to reinvent the pig or cow. Reading is certainly worthwhile if you don't mix all the comments together. Start with one thing you and your other like and perfect it. And as always KISS.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Okay, a more serious answer, because I am seriously trying to pump my 'helpful post' count.

1. I take careful note of everything I do with each cook. From the spice rub to the meat selection and process. With the advent of digital photography, this became even better. When I was younger and learning to cook, I kept logs, noting process and results.

2. I read a lot about what other people do, good or bad. If what I wanted to do was learn brisket, I would read every single thread carefully, about what the person did and what they ended up with. You can learn from others success and failure.

4. I do NOT drink when I cook normally. I drink afterwards and make up for lost time. But, when I am running my cooker, I am about cooking.

5. Just because it isn't BBQ, doesn't mean I can't learn anything, and I listen and consider what anyone who is willing, will teach me. If Bobby Flay or Steve Raichlen wanted me to cook with them, I would be thrilled, that would go for anyone, you want to talk food with me, I am there.
These are the most important to me. And re #1, I continue to log all cooks in detail and include comments on what I would do differently next time. Then I refer to that before the next cook. I even logged reheating some beef ribs trimmed from a standing rib roast because there was... uh... stuff to learn.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

My biggest suggestion is that even if you can't Q then you should still be cooking. Mastering the ability to cook indoors in the oven or on the stove transfers very well to smoking.

If you're paying attention to the way things react indoors you can apply those same principles to the way things work on the smoker. The biggest key to all of this is that you have to PAY ATTENTION to what is going on and if you don't understand why something is happening you need to learn.

IMHO, It's important to take a scientific approach to it, because that's really what it is, a series of physical and chemical reactions that you're trying to recreate on a consistent basis. In order to be consistent you need to understand the cause and effect behind the actions that you take and nothing teaches that better than experience, whether it be indoors or out.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
My wife enjoys my BBQ quite a bit but doesn't want to eat smoked que every weekend. I normally get a rack of ribs for myself or smoke some fatties when I feel the need to fill my addiction.
How about trying some outdoor cooking WITHOUT smoke?

Think about it.....you still get to practice your fire mastering skills, your air control, your timing, flavor profiles, etc. and she (and you) can also enjoy roasted chicken, pit roasted pork loin, meatloaf, etc.
Then there's grilling, which opens up a WHOLE NEW bunch of fun. There's grilled fish, veggies, bread, pizza, etc.

Some people get sick of the smoke, so just cut out the smoke, if that'll keep her happy.

Another thing I'll do is cook up a bunch of chickens one afternoon and then pull the meat off the bones, portion and save for later (enchiladas, tacos, nachos, soups, etc.). I get to play with brining, seasoning, trimming, injecting, whatever I want to do to 4, 6 8 or even 10 chickens all day long and she get's "ready to use" pulled, chunked or chopped chicken in the freezer. It saves us money AND it's better than canned chicken pieces.

I do this same thing with butts too......I can't remember the last time I only cooked 1 or 2 butts. Seems I always do at least 6 at once these days.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #36
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Get her tickets to a show or all day event and send her off. Then bbq while she is gone.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
gruene smoke
Got Wood.

Just make good BBQ, it's what I do.

Let's face it. BBQ isnt that hard and there are no secrets. It just takes time and a effort. KISS -Keep it simple. Find a method that works for you and stick with it. No need to reinvent the wheel everytime you fire up the smoker
gruene smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

I like to cook, always have ever since I first helped grandma in the kitchen. Growing up I always wanted a little food shack. Instead I end up in a different job all togather. Over the years I started giving away the rub I made for my BBQ since it was getting alot of compliments from friends and family. Finally took the rub commercial.

Now I get semi-paid to cook and practice, since I post pictures of the meals to Facebook to help promote my products. the more I cook and post, long as it looks good.. results in selling product. Sometimes things just don't look all that great but taste good, other times looks like crap but taste good. It's the Spark of an idea that I want to instill something that makes them go , "Oh.. I have to try that"

Master BBQ, I would say not in this lifetime... least for me, but the journey will be tasty.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
BBQ ribs, or strip club. BBQ brisket, strip club. BBQ pork, big party at the... strip club. Either way you win.
Don't forget the butt glitter...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #40
teej
On the road to being a farker

How about trying some outdoor cooking WITHOUT smoke?

This is what I do. Let's face it, I work all week and on the weekend, I don't always have time to sit at the smoker for hours and hours, so I grill....a lot.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #41
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
My wife enjoys my BBQ quite a bit but doesn't want to eat smoked que every weekend. I normally get a rack of ribs for myself or smoke some fatties when I feel the need to fill my addiction.
Make a salad to go with it.... or some veggies. I hear that they're good for you too.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #42
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I’m blessed with a wife who’s encourage able, instead of incorrigible. The latter would be me
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

"You" could lower your standards or keep better records to chronicle your successes and failures to learn from your mistakes!
I've finally beaten brisket with great success it's the pork that is giving me he'll.
Best of luck

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #44
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

As far as cost go, I buy whatever I want to cook and figure out how many it will feed. Then I invite that many people over and tell them to bring a side dish and some beers. My garage fridge is always full of beer and I eat the left over side dishes all week long. It's a win/win!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #45
Cooknhogz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Slide it in real hard through the back door, that is the meat I mean.
I tried that once on the wife while she was sleeping after a good night of drinking. Not a good idea took about a week for the black eyes to go away. lmfao
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote