MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
hubmacfan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Provided Turn-In Boxes

It's 13 days until my first competition. It's an amateur contest at a local church. It's not KCBS rules, but I'm hoping you can help me figure something out.

The turn-in boxes are provided by the officials. No garnish is to be placed in the box. I've asked, and I was told it will be a plain, flat-bottomed food box. Since there is no garnish, I can't figure out what will keep the chicken (the meat for which I'm responsible) from shifting around (other than a steady hand and walk). I'm thinking if the chicken moves around, it will leave behind "sauce trails" and that will hurt the appearance score. Other than stuffing the box so full the chicken can't move, anyone have any ideas?
hubmacfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

It's the same down here, no garnish boxes for the most part. Alot of people will do pulled chopped chicken in the bottom to hold in place. But be advised that it could be sampled too.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Put a bed of pulled chicken on the bottom of the box. Otherwise, just load the box up with 9 or 12 pieces so there's no room to shift around.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Smoke_Signals
Knows what a fatty is.

Fill the box, steady hand, bring gloves and paper towels. By the turn in table, check your box and make any necessary adjustments. But whose to say they are going to be just as careful as you?
Smoke_Signals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Smoke_Signals
Knows what a fatty is.

Pulled/chopped chicken is a good idea. But it could/should be smoked too. If it's not award winning, don't put it in the box.
Smoke_Signals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Stuff that box full and walk slow and steady.
Rusty Kettle is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
appearance, box, chicken, turn-in