MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
falconer
Knows what a fatty is.

That looks really nice. On my list for later this week possibly.
falconer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
Richard1233
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great, how does the texture turn out on the skin? does it turn out like a true fried chicken crust?
Richard1233 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
305Q
Knows what a fatty is.

Man that looks GUUUUT
305Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Seen quite a number of these & this one looks to be right up there w/ the best.....

TX for the detailed fixups.....
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Uncle Drew
Got Wood.

I have never seen this before, looks great!
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #21
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good I love KFC. I'm lazier and use the store bought batter. This one has a nice kick to it.
Fry.jpg
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

What does the baking powder and/or baking soda do for you? I've never used it in my fried chicken.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #23
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Thanks and I'll try and find that thread.
Here ya go - I had to find it for myself. I'm obsessing over this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=chicken
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #24
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Does anyone have a link for a thread on wilburpan's method? If you do, you know more than Google does. (Don't think that justifies a prize though.) Thanks!
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #25
falconer
Knows what a fatty is.

DerHusker; I just tried this and it came out WONDERFUL... Thanks so much for sharing it. Use the straight-up recipe with one exception; with your comments I tried baking powder instead of baking soda. I thought it was fine but the wife said try baking soda next time, so I will.
Did it indirect on the kettle at about 355º with some cherry wood small pieces.
I used boneless thighs. Brined them. Dredged both sides, then let them sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. Then rolled them up, toothpicked them, then onto the grill. Took maybe 20 minutes or so to get to 165º.
I could not believe how good they looked when I opened the lid!
Very nicely crisped skin, and the chicken underneath was juicy and flavorful. Two of those thighs disappeared very quickly. :-)
I noticed one thing... The dredge on the inside of the roll did not crisp, of course. But when it mixed with the juices in the chicken and came off onto the plate, it was like a really good chicken gravy. Had not been expecting that but it was pretty cool... I can work with that somehow...
Next time... I will coat the back side of the boneless thigh with a chicken rub I make, then add some of that rub to the flour mixture. But I dunno... I kinda liked that gravy...
I might try some bright colored BBQ sauce I've made on a couple and see if the skin holds its crispness after a light, late, saucing. But if it doesn't, I'll kill the sauce. These are plenty good without it...

Here's a photo taken after dinner. The skin on this looks a little more moist than it really was; this piece sat with the exposed side down for a few minutes and picked up the juice. Fresh off the grill it was crisper than this.

But man... that's good... Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #26
bradymartin
Banned

will this work on a wsm say upper grate?
bradymartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #27
falconer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
will this work on a wsm say upper grate?
Don't see why not... Get your temp up to 350º or so and give it a go. If I was doing a dozen of them, I'd do them on my WSM. But I was only doing four thighs and the kettle looked neglected... ;-)

The more you smoke on that thing the more you'll like it. I have not had anything come out of it that wasn't delicious...

Charlie

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #28
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconer View Post
DerHusker; I just tried this and it came out WONDERFUL... Thanks so much for sharing it. Use the straight-up recipe with one exception; with your comments I tried baking powder instead of baking soda. I thought it was fine but the wife said try baking soda next time, so I will.
Did it indirect on the kettle at about 355º with some cherry wood small pieces.
I used boneless thighs. Brined them. Dredged both sides, then let them sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. Then rolled them up, toothpicked them, then onto the grill. Took maybe 20 minutes or so to get to 165º.
I could not believe how good they looked when I opened the lid!
Very nicely crisped skin, and the chicken underneath was juicy and flavorful. Two of those thighs disappeared very quickly. :-)
I noticed one thing... The dredge on the inside of the roll did not crisp, of course. But when it mixed with the juices in the chicken and came off onto the plate, it was like a really good chicken gravy. Had not been expecting that but it was pretty cool... I can work with that somehow...
Next time... I will coat the back side of the boneless thigh with a chicken rub I make, then add some of that rub to the flour mixture. But I dunno... I kinda liked that gravy...
I might try some bright colored BBQ sauce I've made on a couple and see if the skin holds its crispness after a light, late, saucing. But if it doesn't, I'll kill the sauce. These are plenty good without it...

Here's a photo taken after dinner. The skin on this looks a little more moist than it really was; this piece sat with the exposed side down for a few minutes and picked up the juice. Fresh off the grill it was crisper than this.

But man... that's good... Thanks again!

Nice! Although it's no really my idea / recipe, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #29
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

This all looks good,
I have to try this

Don't send the Foster's, it's a Federal crime(IamMadMan)

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, DerHusker, Fried Chicken, Grill Fried Chicken