MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #106
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

there was a programming issue with the wifire controller, it seems as though they have work things out. I has been working fine but I have been hesitant to recommend it because of this
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=249126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Why were you dissatisfied? I looked at the Timberline and like it, but never cooked on it, so kinda hard to like it. I like the digital readout on it and the size. Just curious what you don’t like about it. I am buying a new pellet in July and have about 5 on my shortlist. The only reason I am getting one is because I need more room!

The Yoder is at the top of the list and the Memphis Elite is next. I like the dual pellet feed on the Memphis as I mix pellets allot.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #107
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

So fellas, I was chatting with the wife, thinking about getting a new pellet. I was going to get an Assassin charcoal grill and then I seen a thread that they make a pellet now? However not sure about that one until some hands on feed back comes in. Looking at the Yoder YS640 and the Memphis Elite. The Memphis is a little pricy though. Curious what you guys think and if you have any input on a good competition pellet. I also have my eye on that Rec Tec Bullseye Kettle. Love the idea of that. So many damn grills out there now. I also like the Louisiana grills, I like they're sliding sear plate. Looking to spend any where from $1000 to $3000. Curious what you guys would suggest. Thanks Dave

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #108
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
So fellas, I was chatting with the wife, thinking about getting a new pellet. I was going to get an Assassin charcoal grill and then I seen a thread that they make a pellet now? However not sure about that one until some hands on feed back comes in. Looking at the Yoder YS640 and the Memphis Elite. The Memphis is a little pricy though. Curious what you guys think and if you have any input on a good competition pellet. I also have my eye on that Rec Tec Bullseye Kettle. Love the idea of that. So many damn grills out there now. I also like the Louisiana grills, I like they're sliding sear plate. Looking to spend any where from $1000 to $3000. Curious what you guys would suggest. Thanks Dave

I’ve had the yoder ys640 and now have the Memphis Elite. Any questions, let me know!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #109
KevinJ

The Memphis Advantage lists for $2,600, Pro $3,600 and Elite $5k, so you may want to look at the other Memphis offerings. Personally I'm looking at the Advantage and a MAK 1 Star with the Flame Zone and full upper shelf which comes in just under $2,200, leaning towards the MAK but if I can find an Advantage around $2,300 it would make for a tough decision. I have other cookers that aren't going anywhere so it would be hard for me to justify spending more than that.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #110
gtsum
Babbling Farker

You can get Memphis units for far less than msrp. I got mine delivered half way across the country from a shop in Texas, with middle racks and cover for about a grand less than msrp

Memphis Elite

gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #111
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
You can get Memphis units for far less than msrp. I got mine delivered half way across the country from a shop in Texas, with middle racks and cover for about a grand less than msrp

Memphis Elite

That's a great deal but it's still more than 3K and I appreciate you letting me know the dealer you purchased from in a previous thread, I plan on contacting them soon.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #112
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
The Memphis Advantage lists for $2,600, Pro $3,600 and Elite $5k, so you may want to look at the other Memphis offerings. Personally I'm looking at the Advantage and a MAK 1 Star with the Flame Zone and full upper shelf which comes in just under $2,200, leaning towards the MAK but if I can find an Advantage around $2,300 it would make for a tough decision. I have other cookers that aren't going anywhere so it would be hard for me to justify spending more than that.
Kevin you may want to check Yoder YS-640 or YS-1500 great customer service .. built “like a tank” and produce better smoke flavor than most of the compition.

https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-...let-grill.html

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #113
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

After having mine for a couple months I can whole heartedly recommend the MAK 1 star with the flame zone and full upper rack.

At first it made me feel better knowing that every single part including the electronics, nuts and bolts where 100% made in the US. Then I put it together. As a guy that works with nuts and bolts quite often in my profession it was VERY nice. It sounds funny, but I actually called MAK and thanked them for using such high quality nuts and bolts. LOL!!!!

The height inside the MAK vs others needs to be mentioned more. Taller meats or beer can type cooks are cake in the MAK.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #114
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
After having mine for a couple months I can whole heartedly recommend the MAK 1 star with the flame zone and full upper rack.

At first it made me feel better knowing that every single part including the electronics, nuts and bolts where 100% made in the US. Then I put it together. As a guy that works with nuts and bolts quite often in my profession it was VERY nice. It sounds funny, but I actually called MAK and thanked them for using such high quality nuts and bolts. LOL!!!!

The height inside the MAK vs others needs to be mentioned more. Taller meats or beer can type cooks are cake in the MAK.
I started looking into the MAK's last night and they look pretty decent. I did watch a video of a guy doing a brisket on the MAK 2 star general and that grill put a hell of a smoke ring on that brisket! I think the MAK 2 star general landed on my short list! The Yoder has been on my list for the past year and now the MAK’s and Memphis are tugging at me!

Gotta admit my Camp Chef Woodwind has been a great little grill, but it is to small and IMO it does not infuse enough smoke. I am lucky if I can get 3 racks on my CC and I have to squeeze them in tight if I do 3 racks. Be nice to have some more room, not to mention I love the heavy duty racks in the competition grills. If my Camp Chef was a 36” or had a larger upper rack I might hold off a bit longer.

Last edited by Rib Rub; 05-10-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #115
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

I got my MAK 2 star about 3 weeks ago. Cannot say one bad thing about it. It is so easy to use and clean. Puts out some great food. I wish I pulled the trigger and bought it sooner. I too was torn between the MAK, Memphis and Yoder. But I have zero regrets buying the MAK.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #116
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMosher View Post
I got my MAK 2 star about 3 weeks ago. Cannot say one bad thing about it. It is so easy to use and clean. Puts out some great food. I wish I pulled the trigger and bought it sooner. I too was torn between the MAK, Memphis and Yoder. But I have zero regrets buying the MAK.
The more I read about the MAK, the more I want it. I think I am down to the Yoder YS640 with the competition cart or the MAK 2 star. Anybody on here have the MAK 1 star General? I am just curious about if there is much difference between the two? I know it is quite a bit of money between the two.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #117
DMosher
Knows what a fatty is.

The cooking area is almost the same, the 2 star is 2 inches deeper. They both have the new Flash fire ignition system. The one star does not come with the Flamezone direct grilling surface it is optional costs $375 more. Does not have the lower door option. Does not have the warmer/cold smoke box. (which I do like to use when food finishes early). Cooking and smoking temp ranges are the same between the two, 170 to 190F smoke and 200 to 450F cooking. The 1 star is aluminized steel and 2 star is stainless steel 304. Think those are the main differences.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #118
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Happy Memorial Day! Kind of a strange thing to say though?

10lb Boston Butt! Has been on the pellet since 6:30am. Almost time for a spritz!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2682.jpg (56.3 KB, 436 views)

Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #119
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
The more I read about the MAK, the more I want it. I think I am down to the Yoder YS640 with the competition cart or the MAK 2 star. Anybody on here have the MAK 1 star General? I am just curious about if there is much difference between the two? I know it is quite a bit of money between the two.
I went thru the same debate/decision last year with help from this forum. Got down to Memphis, Yoder, and Mak.

Nixed the Memphis because too much $ and set up more for grillin. I wanted a pellet smoker for overnight automatic smoking, and plan to keep grillin on my Weber. But if you want to grill with pellets, Memphis might be the best choice.

I liked the Yoder because it's set up like my stickburners. But chose the Mak because 1- the Yoder 640 was more $ than Mak 1-star, 2- read about too many paint problems with the Yoder, 3- figured the smaller volume and profile of the Mak might make it smokier, 4- liked the Mak's center burn pot and exhaust louvres instead of a stack for pellets, and 5- IMHO Mak has the best controller. You can program cooks with different phases at different temp's for different times, including programming an IT meat temp using the included probe. And it shifts from one to the other automatically all night while you sleep.

I love it so far; no issue with lack of smoke flavour; no need for smoke tubes; built solid, great delivery, packaging, and assembly; and Mak are great to work with. My only complaint is the cover is sort of a one-size-fits-all, and since I didn't get the side shelf it hangs like a big baggie on mine.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by OklaDustDevil; 05-28-2018 at 02:35 PM..
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #120
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I agree with the summary above of the differences between the 1-star and 2-star. I chose the 1-star because the grate area is virtually identical, I'm not going to use the warming box or flame zone, and the aluminized steel should be as rust resistant as the 2-star's SS, so the extra $ wasn't worth it to me. But I will say the 2-star looks much, much better -- my 1-star looks like a bloody WW1 tank!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote