MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rib Eye Steaks and Crab Legs for 60

Have a question, I have a catering bid for King Crab Legs and Rib Eye Steaks for 60 People.
My first question is how much King Crabl Legs will I need and second what would you charge? I'll be doing this on site I'm figuring to purchase lip on prime rib and cutting it into steaks, figure this would be the cheapest way to do the rib eye steaks and just cut them into steaks, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
gtsum
Babbling Farker

woah...I will be interested to see the responses to this. The most I have done a surf and turf for was about 15 people and I just bought a side of Rib Eye and cut them myself - I think I got about 12-13 steaks from it (1 1/2 inch thick). I think I had about 8lbs of crab king crab legs - here in VA, fresh King's are going to be ridiculously pricey, so these came from Sam's.

Is this going to be a buffet style thing, or a sit down thing for you?
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Its going to be sit down, per plate. I'm looking at charging $20 per plate based on what im seeing price wise

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Im thinking 3-4 crab legs per person?? Does this seem about right???

- Mike Mills-
Old 11-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Along with the steak? Seems excessive to me, if you are talking whole legs, I would think a maximum of two.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
big brother smoke

I'd sure charge more than $20. You got to figure that even buying bulk you are going to pay 8.00 lb. for crab legs of the King Variety. You can probably get boneless ribeyes for $5.50 per lb. (Choice). So you are talking a leg (king) of let's just say 1/2 lb. $4, plus a sixteen ounce steak = $9.50 x 3 (too make profit) = $28.50 per. With side dishes, bread and incidentals increase $4.00.

Feel free to look at my website, It is priced out using the 33% rule.

My math dictates 33% food and supplies; 33% labor and 33% profit. Yes, it fluctuates north and south, but that is my target.

YMMV!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Boss man, you are only about 175 miles up the road from me, and to tell the truth, I would get about $30 pp on this one. Heck I'm getting $20 on prime rib alone.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
I'd sure charge more than $20. You got to figure that even buying bulk you are going to pay 8.00 lb. for crab legs of the King Variety. You can probably get boneless ribeyes for $5.50 per lb. (Choice). So you are talking a leg (king) of let's just say 1/2 lb. $4, plus a sixteen ounce steak = $9.50 x 3 (too make profit) = $28.50 per. With side dishes, bread and incidentals increase $4.00.

Feel free to look at my website, It is priced out using the 33% rule.

My math dictates 33% food and supplies; 33% labor and 33% profit. Yes, it fluctuates north and south, but that is my target.

YMMV!
Thanks for all the responses on this. Based on prices I've checked on, Big Brother Smoke is right on, I'm going with the price of $28.50 per person thats with 2 king crab legs and rib eye steak. I also quoted $21.50 for just a prime rib dinner. See what they say, but from one of my distributors they said the price of seafood in general went up with the BP spill and has never come down!

- Mike Mills-
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
landarc

Because King Crab are so affected by the BP oil spill in the gulf?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Just another idea in case some people don't want to pick through the crab is to offer the steak "Oscar Style". That's a ribeye topped with crab meat and asparagus tips in a bernaise sauce. It's amazingly good. You could stretch the crab meat that way and people won't be complaining about having to work for their crab meat. Just an idea. I've done it, they'll think you're a rock star (I know I felt like one).
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Just another idea in case some people don't want to pick through the crab is to offer the steak "Oscar Style". That's a ribeye topped with crab meat and asparagus tips in a bernaise sauce. It's amazingly good. You could stretch the crab meat that way and people won't be complaining about having to work for their crab meat. Just an idea. I've done it, they'll think you're a rock star (I know I felt like one).
VERY NICE I like it!!

- Mike Mills-