The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

Default To those with stickburners: how often do you do a thorough cleaning of your pit?

I cook on my Lang at least once a week if not more. I religiously clean out my firebox after every cook however the cook chamber doesn't get the same attention. I usually hit the grates with a wire brush after every cook to knock the big stuff off, but that about as far as it goes.

Ben Lang recommends steam cleaning before/after each cook....I don't do it. I'm usually pulling/slicing/chopping/preparing and I just let it go. Today I got up and wanted to fire the pit up and give it a good cleaning. I got temp up to around 300*-350* steam cleaned it and hit with a wire brush. Let it get back up to temp and went through the entire process again. She as clean as a shinny new penny, this is the first time since I've had it(a month)that it has been cleaned this thoroughly.

So the question still remains: How often do you give your cooker a thorough cleaning?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
superdan
Full Fledged Farker

Firebox on every cook. I knock all the grates clean then scrape the big stuff out of the chamber when it's still warm after cooking.
That about sums it up ;)
superdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

I will at least brush the grates down after each cook if nothing else. If I do a large messy cook I will brush the grates, steam clean and spray a little more oil on and bring the pit up to about 300F for a couple hours. I'm not looking to make it shiny like it was new, my grates and inside are nice and seasoned black.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Oh yeah, I clean out the fire box as well but usually not until the next day.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

I clean the firebox at the start of each cook, bring it up to temp and then wire brush the racks a little. 2-3 times a year I will do a deep clean with steam and hit the inside of the chimney with a wire brush. If we are cooking lots of meat, especially pork butts I will drain and quickly wipe the lower RF plate down at the end of the cook.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

I clean the firebox every cook, and the steam clean gets done twice to three times a year.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Firebox the next day after every cook. Wire brush to the grates while still warm and again with an oiled rag the next day. Walls and channel, clean up any debris and then give a wipe with an oily rag the next day (wipe down my tuning plates as well). I never have or imagine ever giving a complete clean unless it starts getting funky smelling or if I had a grease fire or something (which I don't expect since I never leave puddled grease in the smoker).

Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

firebox after each cook ... next day..... grates and other as needed!!!!1

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
gtr

I brush off grates and cooking chamber and wipe with rag and clean out firebox of all ash within a day or 3 of every cook. Haven't ever done a steam clean as I kinda stay on top of it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
BBQ_MAFIA

My Langs used to get a full cleaning each and everytime the cooker gpt used.

Now that I made a change and cook in pans there is so mess in the cook chamber to clean.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default a clean lang is a happy lang

i cook on my LANG 60 at least 4 or 5 times a week i wire brush my grates after every use and steam and scrape the sear plate every other cook if i do a brisket or pork butt i do a through steaming i halve lined my firebox with firebrick and use a basket for my charcoal and wood so i empty it about every other cook

Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
cb25
Full Fledged Farker

I don't get to use my cooker as much as I'd like...however...

I clean out the firebox the next day after each cook. Grates get scraped same day or next day if I forget - and I try to give 'em a quick brush before putting food on also, just to be sure.

I line the bottom of the cooking chamber with aluminum drip pans, so *most* of the drips get caught and thrown out.

I'd guess once or twice a year I'll do a more thorough clean out of the entire interior...but I haven't even had it a full year yet.
cb25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Why is it important to clean the firebox after cooking and not just wait to clean it before the next cook? Will the ash cause the metal to rust?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
pjayt
Full Fledged Farker

I clean mine right by the book either before or after each cook If I skimp its on the fire box on maybe a short/fast cook
2 burner Tejas cook stand, Cowboy grill
Small Red Acorn (fake egg works great)
Maverick Pro Temp PT100
Weston Pro-2300 vacuum packer
pjayt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
ironmanerik
is one Smokin' Farker

Firebox every time, brush the grates top and bottom, pull them out, scrape the plate and channel every time, get it to 300 and steam before cook.