MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

get both

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it were me, I'd get the maverick. It's pretty convenient monitoring temps from inside. You always get a less expensive meat therm.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 11-08-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

BOTH The thermopen checks for doneness for all of your meats on the grill so no salmanella. The maverick lets you go about your business while your grill does the work and helps you not open the lid and slow the process down.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
bustem55
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
get both
+1. I have the Maverick 732 and love it but am definitely getting the thermapen as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

You need both. You can never have too many toys for BBQ. Also each has its job and they both do their jobs well, so yeah get both.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
mcrimm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Get the maverick, and the Thermoworks RT600c ($25 on Amazon). You'll be armed and ready with these two. Skip the Thermapen IMHO.
That's exactly what I did.......Maverick to cook the killer meatloaf I did on Sunday and the RT600 to check the burgers I did the week before.....you won't be sorry . . . . I promise.
Mike

Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thermapen.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The only time I'm ever using my Maverick, which is a POS, is when I'm doing a roast or pork butt. I can only really use the sensor reader as the transmitter loses the signal too often to be reliable. About the only time I'm using a regular thermometer is when I'm smoking (not grilling) salmon. For just about everything else, I pretty much know when it is done. Since you are asking not for the "best" thermometer, but which gives the most bang for the buck, I would not recommend either. For instance there are several threads on Thermapen alternatives for $15-$20. Yes, they are not as fast, taking 1-2 seconds longer than a Thermapen, but they are 1/4 to 1/8 the price. If these break, you throw it out and buy a new one, no biggie. To me, this is a lot more bang for your buck. As far as the Maverick goes, I and many others have had bad experience with this company (although I don't know if this new therm has the bugs worked out). Still, $60 seems a bit much to spend. I would be happy with one of the cheapo remotes that others buy for 1/3 the price if they just read the temp and transmit it 6 feet through my kitchen window, which my Maverick is unable to do for more than 40 minutes at a time. I've almost ruined a lot of good meat with my Maverick.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

ditto on the maverick and the problems with the remote. Brookstone is better for that, but you can't override the pre-set doneness which is annoying.

I use my old williams and sonoma which has far more functionality, but it's not wirless, so I have to keep checking.

I like the maverick PT100 as an alternative to the thermapen, $10 less, it lights up for easier reading at night, and I dare you to tell the 0.2 second difference in reading temp (take my old eyes longer to focus).
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #25
mcrimm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
The only time I'm ever using my Maverick, which is a POS, is when I'm doing a roast or pork butt..
Wow - sorry to hear about your problems with the Maverick. Mine is perfect. My BGE is about 30' from my football-watching leather couch. My son-in-laws is perfect as well.

To me, the maverick is indispensable for slow cooking a turkey breast or a meatloaf or a roast. How else can I easily watch the Packers and monitor my Egg and contents without missing a play - or a beer commercial.

Get 'em both.
Mike

Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
Jaybls
Got Wood.

Default Maverick vs. Thermapen

Have a look at this from ThermoWorks. The guys who sell the Thermapen:

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2011...rmapen-tw362b/

It's exactly what you're talking about and they're both ThermoWorks products.
Jaybls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

I would suggest the Thermapen. My maverick product is terrible. Like mentioned above it loses range so frequently it practically has to be within 5 feet of the smoker.
The thermapen is used ALL the time and worth every penny.
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #28
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON View Post
I would suggest the Thermapen. My maverick product is terrible. Like mentioned above it loses range so frequently it practically has to be within 5 feet of the smoker.
The thermapen is used ALL the time and worth every penny.
The only problem I am having with my Maverick is that the BBQ Probe decides to jump to 550 after several hours into the smoke. I think I have it narrowed down to the point were it happens after I start spraying my Butts. Leads me to believe I am squirting the probe and maybe causing it to short. I use a pretty big sprayer (garden size) and that's my guess. The food side never has a problem and since I got the newer model with the antennas my connection has been very reliable. Overall, I'd say it isn't the best quality of workmanship but I do like its utility.

Ken

Ihrer's Fires
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Neither. Get a feel for your cooker, buy a cheap meat thermo, and hang out around the cooker drinking beer like you're supposed too!

My name is Monty, dad, or grandpa...depending on who you are.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Get the maverick, and the Thermoworks RT600c ($25 on Amazon). You'll be armed and ready with these two. Skip the Thermapen IMHO.
I agree if money is an issue. If money is not a factor get both the Maverick and the Thermapen. If you don't buy the Thermapen now, hanging around with the Brethren will only cause you to get a Thermapen eventually. Please consider the orange Thermapen as it is the best one.