Shopping list for uds

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
MY DAD AND I ARE BUILDING A FIRST UDS THIS WEEKEND. Im getting a new unlined drum today. Does someone have a shopping list of things I need to get from the hardware store? Also I don't have a welder or welding skills. Is it possible to do it without one? My neighbor does if I have to get something welded.
thanks
:-D

I built mine completely with no welding. Your parts list will depend on features you want.

You will need SS nuts/bolts/washers to hold your grill grate in place and another set to hold your diffuser rack if you choose to install one. I used three sets of nuts/bolts/washers for each rack in my drum. Then you need the racks themselves. You need whatever hardware is required for your charcoal basket build. Your air intakes on the bottom of the drum may be as simple as 1" holes that you can cover with magnets or you might want to use pipe nipples/caps/ball valves. I posted my complete build notes and photos here if you want to have a look...

http://bbq.setzler.net/the-uds/

You can build a great UDS for a lot less money that I spent on mine for sure...

parts.jpg

If you are going to use a ball valve I would suggest looking for it at Harbor Freight. It will be quite a bit cheaper if you don't have to travel very far to get there. You can also get a pretty good thermometer at Academy Sports for around $12.

Paul

Thanks jm!!!! I just printed off your list and went to the hardware store and started checking stuff off!!!! I spent 80 bucks and got everything for the charcoal basket and grates.:p i think if i can get those done ill be doing pretty good. Getting up at 4am to start a shoulder and some ribs
yall have a safe and happy holiday :-d

JM - nice job on he uds build. i checked out your link and its most helpful. did you end of going with a diffuser rack and if so, what did you use?

JM - nice job on he uds build. i checked out your link and its most helpful. did you end of going with a diffuser rack and if so, what did you use?

I did use a diffuser rack. I robbed the 22.5" grill grate out of the $30 kettle grill I bought from Big Lots and mounted it about mid way in the drum and used a $3 walmart aluminum pizza pan as the diffuser. I drilled some holes in the pizza pan as well to let the drippings fall through. I have not tried this setup with a water pan yet and not sure if I will.

Back