MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Default i need an idea

my offset cooker is about 50 deg cooler on the farside from the box. i would like to get that closer in temp. i tried putting defuiser plates in but that had little effect. on things.

option 1 rebuild firebox and relocate. a: directly to the pit and make a reverse flow.... will that bring up the temp?

option 2 rebuild the fire box and move it to the back and middle of the cooking chamber, and if i did that i dont even know what side to put the exhaust on.

option 3 just try a bigger exhaust?
i want to be able to cook a pig in it, nascar style with out having to turn the pig all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig 001.jpg (97.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg pig 011.jpg (48.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg pig 008.jpg (55.3 KB, 107 views)
mjancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Because it appears your cooker is long, I would move the firebox to the rear.

A bigger fire box where it's at know will creat a really hot spot near it.

OR................

It appears you have two pipes from your fire box into the cooking chamber.

Maybe you can run one of those pipes behind the cooker to the center.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Wassup man, This pit has been giving you problems from the start right? I haven't gone back to check your other posts but if my memory serves me right (and sometimes it doesn't, so forgive me if I'm wrong) you made that out of compressor tanks joined together which can tend to be on the thin side. If your steel is not thick enough to hold the heat in your pit, with a pit of that length no matter what you do with a firebox on the far end of it you will always have heat fall off. Have you tried insulating the pit somehow? I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry.

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Mount it in the back middle and add another stack to the end.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

How far do your 2 intake tubes extend into the smokebox?
An inexpensive experiment would be to get some sheet metal chimney pipe that is able to either fit over the outside diameter of your forward intake tube--or fit tightly inserted into the inside diameter of the tube. Run this sheet metal chimney the length of your firebox and cap off the end. Figure out the surface of the intake and cut 4 or five smaller holes in the side of the chimney metal that together equal the surface area of the original intake. This equal amount of air opening will cause both intakes to flow evenly, and the small holes will delay entry of the smoke into the smoking chamber and create more even heat throughout the chamber. If this experiment works, then you could hard plumb it the same way.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

if it's not at grate level I'd drop the exhaust....and if the air intake on the firebox isnt large enuff you won't get good airflow. you could use a pit calculator and take measurements to make sure it's all sized right.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Turn it into a reverse flow. Your uneven temps will no longer be a problem. Insulating it will make it more efficient, but will not necessarily make the temps even from one end to the other. The heat and smoke wants to rise as soon as it comes out the burn box, the only way to get it to the other end is with a full length baffle and then draw the heat/smoke back toward the fire box and accross the meat by moving your smokestack back right above the burn box. I had a similar problem as you do until I turned mine into a reverse flow.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
mjancel
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Wassup man, This pit has been giving you problems from the start right? I haven't gone back to check your other posts but if my memory serves me right (and sometimes it doesn't, so forgive me if I'm wrong) you made that out of compressor tanks joined together which can tend to be on the thin side. If your steel is not thick enough to hold the heat in your pit, with a pit of that length no matter what you do with a firebox on the far end of it you will always have heat fall off. Have you tried insulating the pit somehow? I don't really know what to tell you. Sorry.

Cheers
ur right in a away . i am able to use it i just want to get my temps even out. i have had some problems with heat flow.but slowly getting them work out. i cooked a 100# pig. i just had to keep spinng it.. i did not try insulating the pit. i think i am going to build a new firebox and make it a reverse flow. i just need to figure out the rite size and how big to make the opening from the box to the cooker
mjancel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

Do a search on the net for Pit ratio calculator plug in the numbers and it will give ya what ya need.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

i've got a calculator.. PM me your email and i'll send it right over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Do a search on the net for Pit ratio calculator plug in the numbers and it will give ya what ya need.